Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should formula only be available by prescription?

if you have a medical reason, fine. if you are able to breastfeed, why wouldn't you? i don't get the big hoot. i vote for prescription only!

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (244)
  • No. I don't agree with the over-use of formula, and have zero respect for any mother who CHOOSES to formula feed, but it IS their choice - not their doctor's.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • I think so, too. I hate those not even willing to try for a second.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • Just when you've thought you've seem the doubest thing ever someone else can top it. Bravo. You win the booby prize today.
    BlooBird

    Answer by BlooBird at 4:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • NO
    It is NOT your choice!!
    Some people just can not do it they feel uncomfortable doing it because how the breast has been made to be a sexual only thing.
    Why FORCE someone to do that? YOu would be leading to more unfed babies. Leave it alone! How many times does this have to be asked?
    I breastfed both mine kids for 3 months had issues and dried completely up in 3 days. IT happens.
    But I still don't think you should force someone to breastfeed and you NEED to STOP making parents feel bad for not doing it. Grow up and be an adult. The children are fed and happy. They are also VERY healthy. So just grow up and drop it.
    Mrs.Owen86

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • "I am perfectly ABLE to breastfeed and I don't. Know why? CAUSE I DON'T WANT TO. "

    Wow, you rock mom. You're right up there with the moms who COULD strap their kids into their carseat - but don't. Know why? Cause they just can't be bothered.

    Rock on.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • anon 1 08 that is sickening
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • moms should try to breastfeed always. i agree.
    staciandababy

    Answer by staciandababy at 4:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • Can I ask what good making formula only available by prescription would do? With my second son, I got mastitis and had to stop breastfeeding... to make a long story short, he had to be put on neocate and that is only avail. by prescription... let me tell you, it is a pain in the butt!!!!1
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • Maybe not prescription only, but, I think EVERY mom should at least nurse for the first month.
    BradenIsMySon

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • YES!

    There would be almost no women that would be excluded from breastfeeding. Almost all medical conditions can be treated and breastfeeding be continued. Babies can't breastfeed while the mom is on chemotherapy. The research is showing it is better for mothers with HIV to breastfeed. There are just a couple conditions.

    Probably 95% of women could breastfeed with no problems. Milk banks could have plenty of milk for the other 5% and there would be no need for formula.
    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 4:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN