How can my bf b named on birthcertificate?

When my son was born in 07 no father was stated on bc. He has not seen his father since Aug 09. He calls my bf daddy. And we would like to make him legally his father. My sons biodad is on probation, has no job, and admitted to doing drugs around my son. He has only financially supported him for a total of 4 months of my sons life. HELP....this is NEW HAMPSHIRE...If anything happens to me I want to make sure my lil guy stays with his "DADDY"

lildqsmama

Asked by lildqsmama at 4:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Idk about NH but in NE you will have to get the bio. dad to sign away his rights and then you can go thru the process of your bf "adopting" him. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• his birth fathers rights would have to be terminated or relinquished first I believe
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• According to the State, there is NO father due to the fact that on his birth certificate it says NOT STATED under father's name...

In New Hampshire, the absent parent has given implied consent to adoption or relinquishment pursuant to Section 26-10A-9 as outlined below:
    1. The absent parent has abandoned the adoptee, failing to offer financial and /or emotional support for a period over 6 months from the filing of this petition.
    2. The absent parent has knowingly left the adoptee with the other parent without provisions for support and without communication, or otherwise maintaining a significant parental relationship with the adoptee for a period of over 6 months from the filing of this petition.
    3. The natural father failed to comply with Section 26-10C-1, which deals with the putative father.
    lildqsmama

Answer by lildqsmama at 4:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• that might be true- nh laws- but you know that the dad might battle the issue saying he has made SOME support with the C.S. Even tho, we all know that isnt caring for the child AT ALL...
    Anonymous

• He hasnt paid child support...just from when I lived with him before I left him.
    lildqsmama

Answer by lildqsmama at 4:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• ok- my bad... Well, just from experience, They will try anything to "win" and will come up with a whole bunch of excuses! If it comes down to money, make sure you get all documents stating that he hasnt pd cs. Also, save all receipts that are a cost for your little one that you and your bf pay for. Paper documents work wonders in court! At least they did for me! Again, good luck
    Anonymous

• okay well..child support wasnt ordered because he isnt named on the birth certificate at all...theres nothing saying that he is the father. he would have to take a dna test to prove he is the bio father which he would have to file at court house and then pay for court fees and dna test. however we think that if we post it in the public notice section of the newspaper for 4 weeks. if he shows up later we can say hey we made it public knowledge and he didnt do anything...to stop it...????
    lildqsmama

Answer by lildqsmama at 1:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think in order for bio dad to get on the birth certificate he would have to petition the court for a DNA test and then be added. So your BF would have to do the same thing, and since he's not bio dad, then he wouldn't be able to get on there. You need to speak with a lawyer about all this. All states have different laws. Some say that a step parent will have to adopt, so you'd have to be married to your bf. Good luck!
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2010