Would you go too?

My 13 yr old hasn't seen his dad in years. His dad has severe OCD and basically has become a hermit. We split when our son was 3 because I knew we deserved a better life. Anyways my exMIL and I had several falling outs because she, I felt, is an enabler to my ex. He still lives with her etc. I have grown up and reconsidered things and I contacted her. She is super excited to see my son. I told her I'd drive him to her, about an hour away, and we'd do something. So should I maybe do a lunch with the 3 of us or just drop him off for a couple hours? They have been in contact for about 2 months via mail since I made first contact by letter with her. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• I would do whatever my son felt comfortable with. Ask him

Answer by admckenzie at 5:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I recently reconnected with my mother, that I haven't seen since I was a baby. We talked on the phone for a few months before I met her but when the day came I made my husband take a day off work so I wouldn't be alone. I was so nervous I just wanted to have him there for support. Maybe you could all three go to lunch and if things go well you could leave him for a few hours next time. Then he will have you there. Good luck!
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 4:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I see no reason that she can't see her dad- by I wouldn't just drop her off. I'd stay with her at least the first time.
    Anonymous

• i would make it a 3 person deal. until your son gets used to being around her (or them) and just in case something crazy happens.. I would just stay at least the first time for security reasons, you know?
    Anonymous

• stay
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 5:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• stay, they need you there even if they dont say it, trust me i have been that child
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2010