Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can my bf b named on birthcertificate?

How can my bf b named on birthcertificate?
When my son was born in 07 no father was stated on bc. He has not seen his father since Aug 09. He calls my bf daddy. And we would like to make him legally his father. My sons biodad is on probation, has no job, and admitted to doing drugs around my son. He has only financially supported him for a total of 4 months of my sons life. HELP....this is NEW HAMPSHIRE...If anything happens to me I want to make sure my lil guy stays with his "DADDY"

Answer Question

Asked by lildqsmama at 4:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (9 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • According to the State, there is NO father due to the fact that on his birth certificate it says NOT STATED under father's name...

    In New Hampshire, the absent parent has given implied consent to adoption or relinquishment pursuant to Section 26-10A-9 as outlined below:
    1. The absent parent has abandoned the adoptee, failing to offer financial and /or emotional support for a period over 6 months from the filing of this petition.
    2. The absent parent has knowingly left the adoptee with the other parent without provisions for support and without communication, or otherwise maintaining a significant parental relationship with the adoptee for a period of over 6 months from the filing of this petition.
    3. The natural father failed to comply with Section 26-10C-1, which deals with the putative father

    Answer by lildqsmama at 4:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • Marry your bf, have biodad sign away his rights, and DH adopt the child. It's the only "guaranteed way", so to speak, to keep them together.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • Be careful letting a man you aren't even married to adopt your child. If you split up he could file for custody and would have the same rights as a bio dad. He could get custody and support from you!

    The two of you splitting up is at least a 50% chance. That is a lot higher chance than of you dying. You can talk to a lawyer about a will or other legal document that will help assure your son is taken care of if you die.

    Answer by Gailll at 4:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • okay well first of all we are getting married....but we aren't going to rush into it because of the adoption. we have known each other for 10 years so i'm pretty confident in him. The bio dad has no rights according to the state because he did not sign the birth certificate...he would have to take me to court for a paternity test to be put on. That cost money and I know he doesnt have it but to be a spiteful jerk he could get his parents to give it to him just to piss me off.

    Answer by lildqsmama at 4:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • I dont know about New Hampshire, but I have the same situtaion in Kansas. And here I was told that you have to be married for 2 years, and either have the Biodad sign his rights. Or here after zero contact for 2 years he loses his rights. Best bet is just to call your courthouse and find out who can give you the information, and go from there. Good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • in GA if you are not married or the father didnt sign the birth certificate then the father has no rights at all.

    Answer by shay1130 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • all he has do is go up to the birth certificate office and say he wants his name on the birth certificate, they will ask both of you if he is the father you say yes and sign a piece of paper in few weeks you go pay like 20 dollars for the birth certificate but i would think hard before doing this. I know things may be great now but what about in 5 years - 10 years even

    Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • its not that easy...if he is not the bio father then you cant just go to the birth cert. office. He would have to do a legal adoption which would cost much more

    Answer by shay1130 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • I really dont know alot about laws but couldnt you have some type of legal document stating that if anything happened to you your bf would be appointed your childs legal guardian?

    Answer by formykids373 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • They have to sign their rights away.

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.