How would you...

feel if your guy tells you who you can and can't talk to? Would you listen to him? I sure as hell won't. Just asking because I have a friend who is always saying her boyfriend says he don't want her talking to certain people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• tell her to run and run fast! aside from being controlling, I've known guys like that. turned out they didn't want their SO talking to certain people "because they lie about me" the "lies" where that he was sleeping with other women- and he was.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Hell to the NO ! Usually the most abusive of men start out like that. Hopefully your friend gets out of that relationship fast !
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 4:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Yes, I listen...out of respect for him and our marriage and he does the same. There is only 1 person he has asked me not to speak to and he had due cause. Besides, I don't have a single friend that is worth destroying my marriage over or a single friend that would WANT me to destroy my marriage over them.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Depends on the context really... most of the time, though, it's not healthy for a guy to tell his gf who not to speak to.. but as always, there could be other reasons that maybe you don't even know about..
    Anonymous

• I think it all depends....is he a serious boyfriend (as in interested in marriege) or he just controlling? Its like saying why do you tell your kids not to hang out with certain people? answer=because we love them and know what can happen.If he doing it for these reasons then i think its ok.However all rules change if he wants noone near her as in she can't even have guy friends at all! If he does it cause he cares she's gonna make an awsome wife,but if he is controlling she'll be abused in the future.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• anetrnlov- one person is one thing. but when she said 'certain people' it implies that he wants her to stay away from more than one.
    often it starts with a few, then goes from there. sounds like the woman in that situation doesn't like the situation-not happy? then why stay?
    Anonymous

• OP here.
    Her boyfriend, is talking about his sister, his own sister, and a few childhood friends.
    Anonymous

• What is his reasoning?
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• You are correct anon, she did say certain people. My position still stands....if he has valid reasons and continuing those relationships were going to be detrimental to my marriage, then yes I would end them.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• OP here.
    she don't no why her bf is saying things like that.
    Anonymous