how do i get my son to stop useing the bottle?

so he is 17 months today and he uses a straw sippy cup for juice and water but he will not drink milk from a sippy cup. its driving me crazy that im almost there with the sippy yet so far away. also how many oz's of milk he is supposed to have at this age? maybe i can cut milk to just before bed so he only has a bottle once a day instead of 2 or 3. thank you.

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 4:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• toss em. then he'll have no choice. my boyswere27mo befoore theygotoff em
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• stop giving it to him, cold turkey. If he won't drink milk, then just supplement his diet with extra cheese and yogurt and things that contain calcium
    Anonymous

• Toddlers don't need to drink any milk. The food pyramid for toddlers only recommends 2 toddler size servings of milk products a day. That can be cheese, yogurt, ect. It may be easier to stop the bottle and the milk together. The AAP only recommends 4-6 ounces of juice a day from an open cup, no sippy cups.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• get rid of it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I threw away my oldest son's bottles with in a week of him turning one. My second didn't take bottles. My third is turning one on the 25th and after that it is good bye bottles.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 5:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I just stopped giving it to him and he learned. Also I have heard from MANY MANY doctors to never give anything but water when in or going to bed exspecially milk the calcium will hurt their teeth and of course juices tea ect will rot them.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• We just stopped the bottles at a year and offered only a sippy cup. My son is 16 months and gets 16 oz of whole milk/day, which is what his pediatrician recommended.

Answer by missanc at 6:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I've noticed that other family members can sometimes do this better than mom. Can you leave for a weekend and leave him with DH to give him sippy cup for the weekend? what about your mother? Then the other cups disappear and when you come back, you keep it up. I've known people who have done this successfully.

For our boys, I found it hard, too. I weaned them slowly, letting them only have the bottle if they were going to sleep. The pediatrician said no more than 24 oz per day. With our kids being milk-a-holics we kept a strict schedule, 4 oz at a time, 6 times a day.
    ablessedlife

Answer by ablessedlife at 7:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• If you don't give it to him, he won't be using it - get rid of the bottles so you don't give in. Throw them away - ALL of them. It's the only way to get him to quit using them, is to quit giving them to him.
    Anonymous

• I say let the baby have his bottle. That is what I do. My oldest refused to drink milk out of anything other than a bottle. He did that until he was 2.5 years old and then HE gave up the bottle by himself. My youngest is 15 months old and still uses his bottle for milk. I see no need to push it since a sippy is just like a bottle.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2010