Question about getting a new Refridgerator

I am just wondering about the food I have since the new refridgerator isnt cold yet. Will my stuff go bad and how long till it gets to the required temperature.? Would you keep your frozen stuff if it thawed out or would you throw it away? What about milk and eggs? Thanks for the help.

cutie222

Asked by cutie222 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Refrigerators are pretty well insulated, like a picnic cooler. Assuming the food didn't sit out for a long time when it was transferred, I wouldn't worry too much. It's thermal mass should be sufficient to have kept it pretty cool while the fridge comes down to temp, provided the fridge is fairly full of stuff.

Raw meat I would try to cook tonight. Milk I would try to use up faster than usual. Same with sliced deli meat and mayo. Eggs I would use for baking, hard boiling or scrambling, not for making hollandaise sauce or eating with runny yolks. In many developed countries, people don't store eggs in the fridge at all, so there may be no reason to worry.

Frozen stuff will also have thermal mass; the more tightly-packed it is in the freezer, the better. I'd probably make an effort to use everything ASAP, rather than trash it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Nothing will spoil in the time it takes a new fridge to cool. Make sure that you put all your food immediately from the old fridge to the new one OR into coolers with ice.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Hmm, the instructions with the fridge, both times we bought a new one, said it had to be plugged in for 24-48 hours before opening the doors multiple times & loading it with food. Sorry to say I think you're going to have to start fresh. And no, don't re-freeze foods if they thawed out - cook & eat immediately or toss.
    Anonymous