Orajel vs. Teething Tablets

So my daughter is eight months and getting her first two teeth. I was using baby orajel to help her with the pain and so i could get some sleep at night. A friend of mine told me to stop using the orajel and start using these homeopathic teething tablets made by Hyland's. She says that the baby orajel hardens their gums and makes it harder for their teeth to come through and in the long run it makes it more painful for children when their getting their baby teeth in. Is this true or false? does it matter which one i use?

mandy815

Asked by mandy815 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• use tylenol. thats what my DR said. it works best for me. just dont use it every night, use it when you really need it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Oragel also makes it more likely that they'll have issues with the numbing shots at the dentist when they get older. At least that's what my dr said.
    2Hopefull

Answer by 2Hopefull at 6:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I've used both. Orajel worked fine and I don't use it all the time. As for teething tablets, not all babies take to them. My son did so well on them I was amazed and thrilled and finally got some sleep. My daughter doesn't like them at all. Tylenol is all that works for her. I don't use it much, just when the pain seems to be at its worst. I think you should use whatever works best for your baby. I take unsolicited advice with a grain of salt even if it's from a friend. Your baby, your choice.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I HEARD THE SAME THING. I USE THE TABLETS.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• the tablets make there entire mouth numb, my daughter got hungry with in a half hr and was pouring the formula down her face bc she was numb, so i tryed them def go numb
    Anonymous