How did you feel?

I was a stay at home mom since the day my son was born, and he is now 9 months old. I was with him 24/7 and barely left him with anyone unless I had to go somewhere he couldn't. I got a job and he started daycare yesterday and LOVES it! But... me on the other hand, I miss my baby. I feel like he may think I don't love him as much anymore for leaving him and not spending as much time with him as I used to. It really makes me sad. Anyone else felt this way before?

ilovemyaustin1

Asked by ilovemyaustin1 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can totally see where you are coming from but I really don't think he resents you. Ignore the people who will try to make you feel bad. You have a concern that is valid. You were home since day one and it's normal to feel like you do. But you are a good mother and this question shows it. Relax, everything is fine. And I agree with gdiamante, you don't have to be with your baby all the time, even to breastfeed.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• How do you know he loves it? He is 9 months old.

You are concerned that your baby may think you don't love him as much because you are leaving him and not spending as much time with him as you used to. Is this your real concern? It sounds to me like you are thinking of your baby as being much older than he is and having skills he doesn't have. He doesn't know how to resent you yet.

Babies need their mothers. No one can care for a baby as well as a loving mother. If a mother is breastfeeding, no one else can do that. Lucky mothers and babies at 9 months still have a symbiotic relationship.

It may help you to talk to a counselor. She could help with understanding your baby's abilities and your relationship with your baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• You know what? HE will do better than YOU. They always do. They don't have a memory for this sort of thing. No, he won't resent you for it. Beware..as he gets older and accustomed to this sort of life, he may well resent you if you drop your job, stay home and wind up keeping him form all his daycare friends. That's what happened here!

Relax. Don't let anyone guilt you unless you murdered someone. You don't need to be home 7/24...even to breastfeed!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Gailll, I didnt ask anyone to question my opinions or to refer me to a counselor. I am fine... I was asking other mothers how they felt when they first put their children in daycare. I know he loves it because he has a blast while he's there. Thanks, ladies for your answers.
    ilovemyaustin1

Answer by ilovemyaustin1 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2010