Should I bring him or pay out the nose for a sitter??? And what do you take to this?

Our really good friends are having a celebration of the husband finally (after 30 years) becoming Catholic. It is on Easter Sunday afternoon and as you can imagine babysitters are in short supply, I found one but she wants $75 for a couple of hours. I called the hostess to ask if my 5 year old could come, and she after a long hesitation said oh why not? She went on to say how much she wanted my hubby and I there because we were the ones who kind of got him interested in being the same religion as his wife. My hubby and I are Methodist, and I have no idea what you should bring to something like this a card? So stay home? Go and pay $75 we really can't afford? Bring him? He is pretty well behaved. And what to bring? We are older parents so most of our friends kids are much older so no one else coming really has this issue! Thanks for the advice!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 6:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• oh, btw, I have to admit, while I understand the religious significance of his conversion of faith and it being Easter, I have to say, I think it is a little insensitive and unthinking of the hostess to invite the parents of a small child to attend an adult only event on a holiday.

So you shouldn't have called to ask to bring your son, but then again, they should have thought of what day it was when they asked you to a party that wasn't an all inclusive family event.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• She did say bring him...go ahead. A card is appropriate.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• ok, what that sitter wants is outrageous!
    Anonymous

• I would bring your son and stay as long as you are all comfortable. I have no idea what you should take, but a small gift does seem appropriate. You might go to a Christian bookstore and ask the clerk for some ideas.
    Anonymous

• I would take him.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I would bring him.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• It's EASTER. I'd bring him too.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• You say that a lot of the other guests have older kids. Any old enough to baby sit?

I wouldn't bring him because it's clearly an adults only event and she only said you could bring him because you called to ask. You put her in an impossible position where her only choices were to invite the unwanted child or basically tell you that you're not welcome at all. Either find a sitter or don't go. If you do insist on taking him then just stop in for a few minutes to drop off your card/gift and give them your best.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Normally, I would say if this is an adult event, which is what it sounds like, I would not bring him - I would either pay the sitter or stay home.

HOWEVER - the host scheduled the event on EASTER, knowing you have a child. You say that you're older parents, so your friends' children are all older. So, I'm assuming your hosts also have kids, even if they are older, they weren't born that size...

I would go, take a card or a small gift (a nice bible, a nice bible case, a beautiful rosary, etc). I would only stay about 15 minutes, saying something like "We wanted to come in person to tell you how happy we are for you, and how honored we were to be included in your celebration. Unfortunately, we can't stay, what with it being Easter and everything, we have lots planned with ___ (your ds's name) - I'm sure you remember how it is when you have a little one - egg hunts, baskets, etc.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• cont

"Anyway, we just wanted to stop by and wish you well. Give me a call, we would love to get together again, for longer, soon!" Then, you, your dh, and your son leave.

That way, you wish your friends well, you don't have to pay the sitter, your little one isn't sort of "crashing" an adult party - and more important - he's not spending his Easter having to hang out with a bunch of grownups at an adult party, where he's going to be bored.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2010