Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are any of you a counselor? And have your associates?

If so what classes do I need to take to get mine?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • If you want to be a counseling psychologist you need a MA degree. It is a 45 credit hour program. In general you must have at least a 3.0 college GPA to get into grad school. The programs have many more applications than there are applicants. Most MA degrees are 30 credits but the CPSY degree is a long 45 credits and often there are no grad ass positions. They all go to the doctoral students. That means you have to get loans to pay your tuition.

    For most counseling jobs in most states you have to be have a MA degree and be licensed by the state. During the CPSY program you do clinicals and do actual counseling and you have to pay to do this. It makes the program even longer. Counseling jobs can be low paying and high stress.


    Answer by Gailll at 6:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • I meant to say many more applications than there are spots for in the program.

    Answer by Gailll at 6:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • I am a counselor for mental health and illness but only threw a program I do have 5 certified certificates and will be getting more soon! But I have over 2 yrs of experience and plan to be a counselor for ever I love what i do, and I am passionate and YES! It can be very, very stressful and it is! But I need to know just how much I need to know, I know so much already that I feel like I am ready for My associates to be given to me, but realistically by law, I need to probably take some classes and get to know more terms for illnesses and how the brain thinks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • You can NOT counsel with an Associates Degree, I am currently in the AA program for Human Services and I have learned that I can't counsel without a Bachelor's at minimum and that is very limited. You MAY be able to do drug and alcohol counseling with an AA degree but that is after a certificate in AODA Rehab Abuse, 3000 or more hours of supervised work and passing the state exam for AODA Rehab counseling. That would take years to accomplish.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • There are a few jobs u can do with a associates I looked into it since this if My first step of course I want my Doctrines but I am only at step 1 so until then, I need to get My associates I would feel more confident in My career.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • * You could work as staff in a residential treatment center for kids, adolescents, or young adults. could work at a state mental hospital as a psych tech. You may possibly qualify for a SSW license depending on the state you are in, which would open a bunch of other employment doors for you.

    * You can of course be a psychologist, after earning a PhD and being licensed by the state in which you want to practice. An associates degree will not help you very much in landing your first job. Even many assistant or intern positions require at least a bachelors, and to get fully certified you'll need a master's degree.

    * It is hard to get a job with only an Associates degree in Psychology. Most employers require experience along with the education.

    Answer by Hesmynavyman at 10:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • Here is where I found the info.

    Answer by Hesmynavyman at 10:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

  • You can work as a front line habilitation specialist, therapist assistant or other type of assistant in human services with an associates degree. With a bachelors degree there are some places where you can work as a case manager, social worker (with a BSW) care coordinator. To be an actual counselor you need a masters degree.

    Answer by FL2AK at 11:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.