Give an example on how our culture promotes Formula Feeding over Breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Children's books, tv programs, any kind of media that depicts babies always shows them holding or drinking from a bottle. BFing moms have to ask permission and/or defend their choice ALL the time. I believe it is much more supported in some areas of Canada, but I have never seen such a boobaphobic society as the U.S. Very, very sad. You should all be embarassed at your lack of sophistication and basic common sense.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 8:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• banging head into wall

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• baby bottles? but you never know, you could have "pumped"

see, but this is where a PARENT comes in to teach them all the options!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• yeah i actually had to sort through my clothes and donate one that said 'baby's first bottle'

and dolls come with bottles.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• drop the effin issue.
    PLEASE.
    Anonymous

• For some reason moms who BF in public places get the "look". LOL
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 6:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I agree with the bottles. Almost every baby doll comes with one.
    I also think that there are some leftover feelings from back in the day. Like when my mom breastfed us my grandma told her she was 'white trash' because only the poorest of the poor breastfed! And back in my Grandma's time that was pretty much true. Almost everyone formula fed unless you were too poor to do so. So I think some people still have this mindset, whether or not they realize it. Thankfully I haven't met too many of those people!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 6:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• "For some reason moms who BF in public places get the "look". LOL "

Oh yeah, this too! Some even get harrassed even though it's perfectly legal. I don't understand the issue that people have with this as all the nursing moms I have seen in public show less skin than most of the female population. I have been lucky - nobody has ever said anything negative to me about nursing in public. And I just ignore the 'look'.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 6:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• You leave the hospital with free samples of formula given to you by the lactation consultant.....
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• bluel...
    You leave the hospital with free samples of formula given to you by the lactation consultant.....
    Yes, they even send you a box of free samples to your home via mail.

Anonymous