For moms who bake their own bread

How do you store it? Plastic wrap on a plate isn't working for me lol. Is there a trick to storing homemade bread so it doesn't dry out and get nasty?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I only make as much as we need, so storage isn't usually a problem. What little bits survive more than a few hours after it comes out of the oven do fine in a freezer bag.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I had my mom save bread bags from her store bought bread and I use those to store my home baked loaves.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• If you use a bread machine they make plastic boxes to store that size loaf in. Some have slide out trays that you can slice the bread on.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with putting it in the freezer.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 6:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Michiganmom, I've used breadbags before and we just ended up with mold.

Gaill, I'm using my hands lol. I got rid of my bread machine, I couldn't find a good whole wheat bread recipe for it, and the reicpe book it came with SUCKED. So now I use Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book and bake the loaves myself, using a 4 1/2 by 8 1/2 inch loaf pan.

Energ8zer, we'll be eating them before I would need to freeze them.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Hey, if you find a solution let me know, I'm hoping to start baking our own bread, but this is something I have been worried about....
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I use old breadbags too, or the big storage bags (not sure of the brand but they're with ziplocs and other kinds and have twist ties) in the freezer.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• you know my husband says the same thing it only last for a few days or it gets stale i use foil and then put it in a zip lock bag and it stays fresh but then it molds fast!!!
    Anonymous

• Have you tried keeping it in the refrigerator? I know that my bread will mold at room temp if it's more than a few days because there are no preservatives in it but if it's in the fridge it lasts a lot longer. Honestly, my bread rarely lasts longer than 24 hours per loaf. I bake 6 loaves at a time and freeze 5 then take them out when I need them.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I just cut the loaf and put it in freezer bags.

I honestly haven't tried long-term storage. I only make one loaf at a time in a bread machine, and we eat it fast enough because fresh-baked bed is so irresistible...I also live in a dry climate less prone to mold and such.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2010