catholic question

ok i am not Catholic, however my hubby's family and friends are. When we found out I was pregnant we decided our daughter needs godparents, now Im white and a Christian (not stating all white people are christians and not implying anything) and to me a godparent isnt like someone important its just like a title, I have a godmother but it was just kinda like an aunt that wasnt blood. Anyways, my hubby who doesnt really practice his religion or know that much about it asked his best friend to be the godfather. The friend's response was that he didnt know because it was a huge responsability and he would have to ask his family, eventually he accepted but i always wondered, what does it mean to be a godparent in the Catholic faith? I tried to goggle it but i need it in lymants (sp) terms

xxSummaxx13

Asked by xxSummaxx13 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not Catholic either, but my understanding is that by naming someone as a godfather or godmother means that they are responsible spiritually for the child. To ensure that they grow up in the faith. also in the event that something happens to you and DH - they are to raise the child(ren).

I could be wrong, but THAT is MY understanding of it. I, too, am Christian and I didn't assign anyone as a godparent.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 7:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• For Catholics, a godparent is a person who makes sure the child is raised in the Catholic faith and should the parents pass away, the godparents are responsible for the spiritual upbringing of the child as a Catholic.
    Anonymous

• dh is catholic, I have never been baptised but have an open mind. so....

our girls are baptised catholic, and have god parents.

to us the godparents are the ones who the kids can go to to speak freely about anything and everything, there for a spiritual shoulder to lean on (other than mommy and daddy)

if anything should happen - our girls will be going to the godparents (who is dh's sister and husband),

there's more - but this is all I can think of at the moment.

but a great site to check out is beliefnet.com I've gotten a TON of information from there (my girls are in catholic school so I'm learning it all one step ahead of them)

good luck.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• how come family members are godparents? Like i could have had my sister be a godparent but she is already the aunt?
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I had 2 god parents, a Godmother, and a Godfather. In the event that something happened to my parents I would have been raised by one of them, they also gave me a gift on Holidays, birthdays etc.... They were also at my first holy communion, and my confirmation. They were involved in my life but not on a daily basis. They also didn't see to my involvement in Church, my parents did that.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Oh btw, my Godparents weren't a married couple, one was my Aunt, and the other was my cousin.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Some people believe that when they are a godparent that they would become responsible for the child if anything should happen to you or your DH. ALl of my children have Godparents, and I had them too. but It's just a like a special person to them.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• a godparent is a person who makes sure the child is raised in the Catholic faith
    -----------------------
    Shouldnt the childs parents do that, even if they pass away the guardian should do that.
    Anonymous

• A God parent holds the responsibility of making sure the child is raised in the Church. I refused the responsibility for one family member because I knew they would not raise the child in the church. If the parent's will not take the child to church it is the responsibility of the God parents to take the child. I knew I wouldn't be allowed to take the child to church, therefore, I refused to be a God mother in name only.

You can be a family member of friend. A family memeber will often be picked because the person will grow up around the child.
    Anonymous

• Shouldnt the childs parents do that, even if they pass away the guardian should do that
    __

if the parents will not, and the God parent will also give extra encouragement support and attend sacraments as sponsors.
    Anonymous