witchcraft??

My 16 y/o daugter came home yesterday & said she wants to get involved in wicca. I have tried to understand some of the things that I have looked up but am not sure what this is. Do you think it's just a "thing" she is going through or should we be more concerned? I don't want to be irrate with her then she won't tell me anything I'm afraid. Thanks for the help....

hmkr38

Asked by hmkr38 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I went threw that when i was younger, i look back and think its pathetic how i even was interested in it but it was the friends that i had at the time. She will grow out of it. Just try and support her so she does come around more to you. I told my mom everything so when i told her i wanted to go out one night with my friends to try witchcraft she was there for me and just had me invite my friends over and we all practiced in the backyard (we didnt know what the heck we were doing though lol)
    My cousin is 15 and going threw the same thing now im noticing alot of teens are getting into it but it fades away and she will be into something else soon.
    Good luck
    Mommy2be6810

Answer by Mommy2be6810 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Try to learn it with her, some how or another it helps grow them out of it faster. Kids never wanna do anything for long if their rents are into it too. But you may be surprised what you can learn from it.
    GothicMama

Answer by GothicMama at 8:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• it might not be just a phase. it could be, but this might be the path she will walk for the rest of her life. Be supportive, learn about it with her, and if she someday decides it's not for her- no harm, no foul. But if you act like this is childish now, she will resent it, even if she doesn't stick with Wicca her whole life.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Most teenagers won't tell parents because they are afraid of prosecution from their parents. I know I was when I was 16 and told my mom the same thing. She just wanted to be sure I knew what religion I was getting into, and why. So she went and got a few books, about it, and had me read them. I found there was a lot that even I didn't know about it, and knowing my mom was open to allowing me to learn about it, made me want to make her proud of my decision. After a year of researching, I later went back to my mom and thanked her for allowing me that freedom. It lead me to research a lot of other religions as well. For a while I remained agnostic, until I could digest my own beliefs.. and later found my beliefs are of a Spiritual Atheist.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Just get her the books and online resources. I would not say she is being rebellious or childish because she will push you away if you do. Ask her if she would like to participate in a group setting with other Pagans and or Wiccans and take her to meetings. Stay with her and encourage her to research and ask questions. You will get some on here that will advise you to sit and pray the demons away from her or quote Bible verses to her. Again that is another way for her to push further away from you. She obviously trust you with sharing a very personal part of her life just remember to not take advantage of that trust.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Not all Wiccans practice the craft. www.religioustolerance.org Because all their information is unbiased.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• i would just be supportive, get her books to research. theres nothing "evil", "bad" about witchcraft.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Wicca and Paganism are not anything you need to fear. Here are some great resources for you... There are many parents in your position and these pages are set up just for you and them! Please, feel free to message me personally if you have ANY questions! While I'm not Wiccan, i am Pagan and have studied Wicca... I am always happy to answer questions!

A Parents Guide to Protecting their Child With Wiccan Intrests

What to do when your teen discovers Wicca or Paganism

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• There's nothing wrong with Wicca or other Pagan religions... whether she decides that this is the path for her or not, this is a great opportunity to learn something about a different faith. Check out www.religioustolerance.org for some good, unbiased information on Wicca and other Pagan beliefs... hopefully this will ease your mind a bit.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I admire the fact that she felt comfortable telling you. Not many kids would. I'm glad to see you have an open relationship. On the other part whether it is a phase or not I don't think you should be concerned. Other pointed out reasons so I will spare you repetitiveness. Wicca isn't really that bad. You should encourage her independence. and I agree you should learn it with because it can help you further understand her interests, and who knows maybe even respect it not saying you have to believe in it to though don't get me wrong there. Good luck I am happy to see open comunication between teens and parents as I said nopt many get that.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2010