getting my son to poop on a regular basis.

My son is 3 months old and since day 1 has been a very sensitive eater. I was unable to breastfeed due to a reduction and has been on formula. He currently is on sensitive simulac. He poops about every other day sometimes every 2 days, its either really sticky or kinda-of hard. His doctor reccommend prune juice but still hard poops to where they hurt him and he cries in pain!!!! HELP!!!!!

KK1020

Asked by KK1020 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my baby is 2mnths and doing the exact same thing she has iron in her milk and has to take liquid iron daily..so shes pretty constipated..she also has acid reflux so we are battling giving her juice bc it makes her sick..the juice worked for her..but made her stomach super achy...we did try glycerine supositories they worked too..but they made her tummy hurt...if hes going every other day thats great my baby waited about 6days so i would say you are doing pretty good
    Anonymous

• my dr told me to put dark karo syrup in my son's bottles, about a teaspoon every bottle. if his bowel movements are too runny, then put a litle bit less in his bottle. she also recommended the prune juice, about a half ounce of that daily. the dark karo most definitely worked for my son. good luck!
    kristinmj

Answer by kristinmj at 8:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Ahhh my son is the same way. He's 8 months, and we are still struggling with it. I bf for 4 months and everything was fine....but my body made me quit.

I gave him prunes 2x a day until he got regular, then 1x a day to keep him that way. I give him lots of greeans too, but mine is older.

It sucks to have a baby with digestive problems :(

its heartbreaking to hear them screaming and knowing you can't help them. I do push his legs back and gently push on his tummy on those days to help him push it out. Some days its like a adult pooped in his diaper :( ugh.

Id try the prunes. They worked WONDERS for my son. I didn't like giving him all that suger and syrup. It didn't work for mine anyway. U just have to keep giving it to them or they'l stop up again. I totally understand your pain.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Ohhhh and I used 1 foods prunes, not the juice. Its waaay more powerful, and pretty much a liquid, so it shouldn't be a big transition. Its messy though! Lol. Good luck honey!
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No Karo syrup. Even the Karo syrup company says never give it to babies. Babies under 4 months aren't supposed to have anything other than breastmilk or formula. No prunes or juice. If they have problems with stools, too bad. It's better to have stool problems than to give things that will cause injury to the digestive system. Poor baby.

You could relactate. La Leche League Leaders help moms with babies that have problems with formula relactate all the time. Not having enough milk is something that can be easily fixed. Virtually all women can make enough milk. You probably had bad info. You could relactate and breastfeed a year or longer.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:49 AM on Apr. 2, 2010