Is Ronald McDonald responsible for fat kids?

We thought this was an April Fools' Day joke, but apparently not.

The news is that a Boston-based advocacy group called Corporate Accountability International wants Ronald McDonald to turn in his big red shoes and retire.

Folks from the group picketed outside of a Mickey D's in Times Square yesterday. They claim that Ronald has way too much influence over children and what they eat - and that influence ain't good.

Ronald, who has been around since 1963, better watch his backside: These are the same folks who helped bring about Joe Camel's demise.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/01/1850643/ronald-mcdonald-on-the-ropes-group.html#ixzz0jtmaH4nb

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think Dr Phil said it best when he told the mama suing McDonalds that SHE was in control of the STEERING wheel that turned in and SHE ordered the food and SHE gave it to the child. Thats crazy! Its called NO. My kids hear it often. They dont like it. I dont care. and THATS called being a PARENT. Personal responsibility is really in the crapper in this country right now!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• NO....parents are the ones who feed their kids and bad eating habits start early...in the home....thats why it's ridiculous that cookie monster was blamed for children's bad eating habits
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• LOL...is that for real? In that case, I should have been a super plus sized kid..my grandma used to take me to McDonalds at least every other day and I was always thin as a rail! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• parents are to blame... because they are the ones buying them mcdonalds in the first place!!!
    Anonymous

• its true...you often see the fat parents with fat children and its awful cause it's not the kids fault....it's the parents
    Anonymous

• no its parents that are too lazy to cook. A grill cheese sand,peanutbutter sand,turkey sand,quesadilla,tuna sand,healthy shake all take about 2 minutes to make and are way healthier.so too busy or too tired is not good enough,we all have 2-5 minutes even after hours of work.why blame ronald.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 8:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Unless Ronald is holding a gun to their heads forcing them to eat the food they can't blame him. It's the parents choice to drive through. They saw the benefit when they were eating it. Thought it was so worth it then, but now the kid is fat and they want a refund plus damages! They damaged their own child and should be sued if anything.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• LOL, Ya Ronald McDonald is SOOO MAKING parents take their kids to McDonalds LMAO. I love how people always look for someone else to blame.
    If your kids are fat it is YOUR fault. Stop buying chips and fastfood. Make them go outside and run instead of playing xbox and WII
    Anonymous

• No it's parents. People have to stop passing the buck and take some responsibility. I swear they don't even know the meaning of the word anymore.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Too many calories in vs too few burned is the cause of most overweight people-adults and children both- MIckey D's does not force feed children.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2010