can i request one of the midwives instead of my doc

my doc is great but she's kind of a know it all and i just get along much better with the three midwives that work for the gyno office. i'd rather have one of them deliver my baby. can i request that...the gyno office is in one town, and the hospital they use is in the next town over. can i just tell them that when i go into labor i want one of the midwives at the hospital instead of my doc

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• YA just ell them you want the midwife instead
    Anonymous

• You're lucky if you get to choose, I have a regular doctor but ALL of the doctors in town rotate service in L&D. SO, when you have the baby you get whomsoever is on call. Three babies, three different doctors, none of them mine.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Yes you can~
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• it probably depends on the practice. where i went w/ my son, there were a couple of OBs and a couple of midwives, and if you were a midwife patient you got a midwife at your birth. where i live now, there is a practice w/ a midwife and a few OBs, and it's just whoever is on call that attends your birth. i'm going to a diff practice w/ all midwives.

so i'd ask.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• ok who do i ask? i'm afraid to ask my doc cause she'll ask me why and i don't wanna just say "cause you think you know everything and i like the midwives better"
    Anonymous

• I would ask the midwife you would prefer to deliver the baby. Just say that you are more comfortable with her or the other midwives than the doctor. They will understand, it's nothing personal and I assure you it's come up before.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• It's a personal decision and you have the right to choose, it's your baby's birth and you should be able to have a midwife if that is what you want. Good luck.
    Anonymous