16 month old with some type of bump/or infection on bum?? Can I use Ichthammol Ointment?

My DD has a bump on her little buttcheek. We noticed it yesterday, and it just looked like an ant bite, so we put "AfterBite" on it. Well this morning it looked a little different (kinda wider and flatter) and was a little hard, so we decided to put Neosporin on it, and continued through out the day. We just got home from about a 3 hour outing, and I changed her diaper to find BLOOD AND PUSS looking stuff in her diaper from where the bump is! Anyone know what this could be? Or what I can do? I'm praying to God that it isn't staph, because my hubby and I have both delt with staph in the past, and its no fun at all. Our Dr. always told us to put Ichthammol Ointment ( aka Black Sav??) on and it cleared up right away... Does anyone know if this is okay to use on DD? I've already put a call into her pediatrician, and I'm not waiting on the return phone call, but in the mean time, I can't just sit here and do nothing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it said u used the ointment and it went away? r u talking about for u and ur husband or on ur daughter?? if she still has it i would make an appointment....it can turn into staph or mersa very quickly.....my aunt had an infected hair and by the time she went to the doc it was mersa and now she has a big purple scar on her leg from it!
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• going by what you said yes i would say its staph , my youngest has had staph twice and both times she had to be put in the hospital , they had to put her to sleep and lance the infected site, it sucks, if i were you i'd take him to the e.r or his doctor. and one way to help prevent staph is to take a bath once a week with a 1/4 bleach in it, the bleach kills the germs, my pedi said that works, my daughter had staph on her right butt cheek and then a year later had it on her right upper leg, good luck
    dixiestyles85

Answer by dixiestyles85 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• @AustinsMommy306- DH and I used the ointment on ourselves for previous infections. We finally decided to go ahead and put it on her lastnight to see if it would help any.

UPDATE- We took her to the pedi this morning. It was indeed a staph infection. They didn't lance it, but they did poke another hole in it with a huge needle thing to help drain it more. And they sent us home with two medications for her to take, and gave us instructions to give her very warm baths with lots of soap twice a day for 30minutes each time, and to keep petroleum jelly and a bandaid over the infection to keep it open so it can heal. And asked to see us back on Monday morning to make sure its healing, and if not we'll have to go another route. ;( So, we're praying that it begins to heal!!! Thanks for the advice tho!!
    Anonymous