Breast Feeding Question!

DS (3 weeks old) was diagnosed with something today and the dr wants me to nurse him with him sitting up. I can do this on one side but not on the other due to flat nipples(ds has always had a hard time latching on this side) My question is: If I nurse on on the side I can with him sitting up and ONLY pump the other side will that be ok or will it hurt my supply some how?? after I pump for awhile he can latch on that side but its still hard for him. any ideas???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That may hurt your supply, however, once you can nurse normally if you start back to nursing on that side I would think your supply would normalize. Have you tried a nipple shield? That might allow you to nurse with him sitting up on that side, then you wouldn't have to worry about your supply at all.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I am not sure what they are called but they have nipple shields that can help your baby latch. You can buy them at babies r us or Wal mart

MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 9:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• The nipple shields are a good idea, and yeah just pumping will hurt your milk supply, but only on the side u are pumping on.

Id suggest you pump that side first and try to get the baby to latch on and get more milk out, then switch to the easy side. It might help slow the milk from drying up on that side.

Im pro-choice when it comes to bf and ff, I breastfed until my body wouldn't let me anymore. Im not a bf nazi though. Major credit for sticking with the bf even though its gonna be tough.

You should def post an update on this, because im sure there are many women in your place, and im sure they'd appreciate the update and info.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Nipple shields aren't a good idea unless you have the help of a lactation consultant. If nursing is going well on one side you don't want to mess up the baby's latch by using the shields.

You can breastfeed using only one breast and that breast will make enough milk. You could pump so that you could nurse with the other in the future or you could just let the supply go down. Moms can breastfeed twins or triplets. I nursed two at once and each child had their own breast that they always used.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:15 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Another thought...breast SHELLS help to draw out the nipple. You wear them between feedings. You might give that a whirl...they really helped me.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2010