My son doesnt listen- How do i get him to listen?

My son will not listen to me! He is only 16 months old I dont know if that is to soon to start trying to get him to listen or not I have told him NO many times not to do certain things that he does over and over again it really stresses me out I have tried just about everything when he gets spanked he laughs when he is told no and taken away from whatever he is not suppose to be doing he laughs Ive put him in time out and he will go right back and do it again Im pretty much at my wits end if anyone has any suggestions please help! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• to get him to listen, try listening to him more first. be slower with your hand and more eager with your ears. if he's doing something because he thinks it's funny or wants attention, just show him another thing that's funny or another way you can give him your attention. be gentle- he's a litle fella! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Im in the same boat with my 21 month old, even so at my wits end with him laughing when I disipline him, today I went to the book store and picked up a few books hoping they will give me some new ideas to try to correct his behavior...good luck and if I find anything worth trying I will post back
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 10:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• don'tshow fear ladies.. I have a 2-1/2 yr old that can very much be like this. this is called strong willed...!!!! get some booksa and learn about not showing you are angry and consistancy.. I have spent MANT days puttng my son in time out time and time again for not listening when he went back over and over agian to do thesame thing I just told him not to do. they are testing you right now.. so you need to be firm/clear and consistant.. they are laughing at you because you are showing your frustration.
    Anonymous

• Thank you so much for your reply franklynnsmom its nice to know im not alone going to the book store is a good idea I think I might try that too & yeah if you find anything out worth trying Id love to know :)
    Anonymous

• Thanks anon!
    Anonymous

• well, if it's not a matter of life and death or personal safety..then let it go, or move whatever it is (put the coffee table in the garage if you have to) the less you say no and reserve it for the big stuff the more he will listen to it (you could be more specific too..freeze, danger, ect.) give him choices, he may not be able to respond yet, but little things to let him feel in control. If my toddler makes a mess, I don't freak out, but i do get two rags and he "helps" clean it up. Ask him once then just do it (like ask him to come..then go and pick him up).GL
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I love suppernanny. Those techniques really do work. I have trouble with consistancy and that's my big problem. I get distracted easy.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Stop saying no so much
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• MY CHILDREN ARE 10,8,4,3 AND THATS A JOB. I THHANK YOU FOR ASKING FOR HELP. START GOING TO KIDDIE PLACE DOING THE DAY SO HE CAN SEE THE OTHER CHILDREN. THAT'S HOW THEY LEARN. I WILL GET THEM IF THEY ACT OUT TO MANY TIMES BECAUSE THAT WILL LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE THE BOSS. MY 3 YR OLD IS A GIRL AND WE HAVE FALL OUTS ALL THE TIME BUT SHE KNOW I AM THE BOSS. YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. ASK FAMILY MEMBER TO COME PICK HIM UP SO YOU CANHAVE SOME YOU TIME. PRAY DAILY.
    lilbigmother

Answer by lilbigmother at 12:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2010