Do you check you child's phone/text messages?

Substitute teacher asked 14 yr old student to send him nude photos via text msgs. Pictures were sent and the teacher was arrested. Would this checking up be a violation of privacy or parental responsibility?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• when my daughter is old enough for a cell... you're damn skippy i'm checkin her messages. as long as i'm payin for it and she's not an adult yet.
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 9:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• first off, there's no reason to "need" txt msging. the only time my kids will be allowed to use "a" cell phone (they won't have a personal one) is to go somewhere where they need to be picked up and need to call me for a ride back home or w/e....
    Kids don't need phones....
    Anonymous

• i know someone who has a cell phone for their eight year old. that is So unnecessary. hell yes. if my kid has a phone I will be checking up on what they are doing one way or another. it's absolutely a parental responsibility.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 10:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• hahahah I like rahrahsmama answer.....damn skippy I'll be checkin! hahahaha ;) But it will be quite a while till mine have one, not a fan of 12 year olds having them!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• We will be getting our children phones as soon as they start middle school (maybe sooner if they join sports or anything) and NO we will NOT be checking texts or phone records. If your child can't be trusted enough to where you have to check their messages, they you have bigger issues than their cell phone!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Even kids that are trustworthy make mistakes sometimes Sabrina and I am not willing to have my child pay the price for me not doing my job as a parent. Kids ,even GREAT ones, are getting caught up in very dangerous things these days, I refuse to shut my eyes to it.

I pay for it, they are underage, and there is nothing that that should be private at that age! Sorry ;)
    Anonymous

• I would check her phone, but she would know that by having a phone, I will periodically check it without warning. I wouldn't sneak it without her knowing.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Yes I will (when they have them), but they'll also be told that I maintain the right to check it upon moments notice when I think necessary.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 10:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Yes, I periodically check my 14 yo dd's phone. She's a wonderful kid, I would like to keep it that way.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 11:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I have never checked their phones and they have had cell phones for the past 4 years (since they were 13 and 14). They are high school Seniors and we have always been able to trust them.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2010