What do think of Easter baskets labeled "food stamp approved?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in About CafeMom

• If the government didn't want people on food stamps to be able to buy stuff like that they wouldn't be able to. Just like you can't buy alcohol, hot food, and other assorted things that are food or drink. I am on food stamps. All of my kids love to eat fruits and veggies. I just gave my 2 year old dried okra. I don't see anything wrong with those baskets being able to be bought with food stamps. I do not buy them. My sister buys any toys that go in their baskets and I buy any candy that does. Usually there isn't much and I include bananas, apples and oranges too.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:17 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I would think it would be easier to know that that is something that can be purchased with food stamps,saves the embarressment of asking and a person doesn't have to wonder. :)
    Anonymous

• I never heard of that....meaning they take food stamps for them? That's not a food item, it doesn't make any sense to me.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Does not sound like separation of Church and state to me! I am Catholic and even have trouble with this. I haven't seen this in stores but the state should not be funding Easter! If parents can't afford Easter baskets...get involved in your church who knows they probably have something special for low income kids and Easter celebrations mine does.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• The baskets I saw mostly had candy and were labeled" food stamp approved." Technically it is food.
    Anonymous

• I thought it was awesome! I was able to buy all 4 of my kids one!
    Anonymous

• You think this is an issue? Should we ban poor people from getting Christmas presents too?

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I never said it was an issue. I haven;t stated my opnion yet.
    Anonymous

• Never seen it. Bloobird sorry but if you are going to buy junk food ( yes easter candy too) you need to save up YOUR cash to get it. You don't need to use food stamps given by the government to buy non nutritional foods. As for christmas presents there are MANY organizations that help the needy at christmas even MANY groups on here.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I think that they are Easter baskets that can be purchased with food stamps. What is the purpose of your question??
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2010