Do you agree that mothers who breastfeed have high IQs?

This article says that children who are breastfed have Higher IQs. I'm guessing that the mothers would also have higher IQs since it takes a smart women to breastfeed.
Breastfeeding comes with the notion that the mother must provide nutrients and security to the baby. The mother's instincts prepared her emotionally and physically for the "job".

The article "Higher IQs connected with Breastfeeding" can be found at
http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_iq.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• EVERY woman is made to BF. Doesn't always work out that way, but as biology intended, that's why we have boobs. Back in "the day" it's was the UPPER class, educated women who opted to FF because they could afford it. BFing was for the poor folk. Doesn't seem like they made the smart decision. I know lots of not-so-intelligent women who've breastfed. And some smart FF's too.

As for the kids? Just depends. Some are bright, smart, happy do-gooders. Some are..well...not, for lack of appropriate words. I have two FF, and one BF kid. My FF kids are smart as a whip. My little one is only 20 months, but she's certainly not reading, and writing more than a scribble...and can't even manage to get her scribbles on the paper, lol. Time will tell. Every kids absorbs and applies knowledge differently. Some are smart and just don't apply themselves.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Honey, all animals breastfeed... I'm not sure what their IQ's are. Yours however, must be rather low!
    Anonymous

• nope
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Yes. All breast feeding mothers and thier breast fed children are geniuses.It amazes me beyond belief how inadequate and stupid myself and my stupid formula fed children feel when standing next to the all amazing and wonderful booby munchers.
    Anonymous

• No, That is complete rubbish. What do you expect though from a breastfeeding website?

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Breastfeeding during infancy of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Researchers from Christchurch School of Medicine in New Zealand studied over 1,000 children born between April and August 1977. During the period from birth to one year, they gathered information on how these children were fed.

The infants were then followed to age 18. Over the years, the researchers collected a range of cognitive and academic information on the children, including IQ (intelligence quotient), teacher ratings of school performance in reading and math, and results of standardized tests of reading comprehension, mathematics, and scholastic ability. The researchers also looked at the number of passing grades achieved in national School Certificate examinations taken at the end of the third year of high school.

The results indicated that the longer children had been breast-fed, the higher they scored on such tests.
    Anonymous

• "It amazes me beyond belief how inadequate and stupid myself and my stupid formula fed children feel when standing next to the all amazing and wonderful booby munchers. " I wouldn't have put it quite that way, but I also wonder how formula kids feel against the higher IQ kids.
    everyone knows that breastmilk is the best way to go- most often the kids do have higher IQs.

Anonymous

• Interesting. Not sure about IQ, but I have read a couple of studies that show that mothers who breastfeed do tend to be more educated than those who do not.
    Anonymous

• Results. Increasing duration of breastfeeding was associated with consistent and statistically significant increases in 1) intelligence quotient assessed at ages 8 and 9 years; 2) reading comprehension, mathematical ability, and scholastic ability assessed during the period from 10 to 13 years; 3) teacher ratings of reading and mathematics assessed at 8 and 12 years; and 4) higher levels of attainment in school leaving examinations. Children who were breastfed for >= 8 months had mean test scores that were between 0.35 and 0.59 SD units higher than children who were bottle-fed.

Anonymous

• Mothers who elected to breastfeed tended to be older; better educated; from upper socioeconomic status families; were in a two-parent family; did not smoke during pregnancy; and experienced above average income and living standards. Additionally, rates of breastfeeding increased with increasing birth weight, and first-born children were more likely to be breastfed.
    Anonymous