Can military parents become foster parents?

Does anyone know if we can become foster parents? I guess it would probably depend on the state and how many years we have left in this state. I would love to do this but don't know if it is possible.
Thanks

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think you can. Call your local DSHS to make sure.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Thanks, I know my state is in a big need for foster parents. My great aunt was one and loved it. She ended up adopting either 2 or 3 of her foster kids.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• yes you can but you can't move houses or states. Every time you move you have to get the residents re certified and the kids can't be in the home until it's done. It's a considerable amount of work. We got all the way to certified and at the last second was talked out of it by the social worker. Apparently the law and state are not on your side and a lot of these kids will implicate you for things because they don't like dinner. Being in the military makes that especially hazardous because in this life you're guilty until proven innocent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2010