nervous!

my son just started rolling over on his 3rd month birthday.. me an my husband are just so nervous when he sleeps that hes just going to roll over an suffocate!

how did you guys deal with this :( we are not doing too well..

akalei

Asked by akalei at 10:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter could roll at 2 1/2 months. I just tied her crib bumpers to the top of the crib instead of the bottom so there was a bit of an opening at the bottom. Really though she didn't roll over in her sleep till 5 months when she could roll both ways.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Once a baby is strong enough to roll over, the risk of SIDS goes WAY down because the baby's neck muscles are strong enough to lift it's head. I would TRY not to worry...but that's what we mom's do, right?
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Put pillows on either side of him so he can't fully roll over. but really I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure nothing is by his face so that if he does roll over there's nothing fluffy or too soft to sufocate in. I know its nerve racking but just try to relax a little. I know at 3 mths everything scares you with your first child I was the same way.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 10:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• once they could roll over i put them to sleep in their crib by themselves. if you don't have anything in the crib they'll be ok. i even got the mesh bumpers in case they rolled over with their face up against them. you can easily breathe through it so that's a relief for me lol. but i'm not really the worrying type.... idk why, never worried about them suffocating lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• What has helped me is having a montior that monitors not only sound but breathing.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I freaked out about this too...but like another poster said, once they can roll back to front and front to back, they are less likely to suffocate because they are able to roll themselves back over if they can't breath...unlike a newborn who might be able to move into a bad position and not be strong or mobile enough to move out of the position. When my son started rolling over, i kind of molded his blankets in a way so that he couldn't roll over them.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Honestly....my baby has pretty much always slept on his tummy. He's slept on his stomach since he was like 2 months old.

People can bash me for that all they want, but once a baby can roll they sleep however they are the most comfortable.

A friend of mine's baby choked and died in his sleep on his back, so honestly....neither way is completely safe. If your baby wants to sleep on her tummy...let her. Just remove anything soft from the bed.

Every other year they tell you something is safe, then they go back and say its not.
    Im a fan of baby-led parenting. He wants to sleep on his tummy, so I make sure his crib is free of any blankets or stuffed animals that could hurt him.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• my nearly 13 month old twins have been sleeping on their bellies since they were born. They slept on them in the NICU, so when they came home we couldn't get them to sleep on their backs, so we finally gave in and let them sleep on their bellies...when we did they slept great. Like someone else said, now that your baby can roll over, your baby can lift the head up if he can't breathe, but I don't think there is going to be a big problem.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 12:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I put a blanket to try and keep her on her side facing up as much as i can
    lilangel_4206

Answer by lilangel_4206 at 2:00 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• He will be fine. But DON'T put pillows in his crib, get a positioner if you want one. Nothing soft in the crib.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2010