yet another potty training question :)

My DD will be 2 at the end of may.
She has been showing many signs of potty training, can stay dry from about 1-2 hours, pulls pants down and up. asks to go potty sometimes.
she is not always on top of staying dry or telling me. and has never gone poop on the potty. I am planning on spending a week off work with just putting her in undies.
do you think its to soon to try since she has never pooped or do you think that she will eventually learn after accidents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She will learn. My daughter fought pooping on the potty for awhile. Underwear is the fastest way to potty train, just be ready for accidents.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• my oldest was fully potty trained by her 2nd birthday... what worked was just letting let run around in nothing but a shirt, and keeping the potty within reach... she will have accidents, but that doesn't mean shes not ready... even 7 year olds have accidents. my youngest was just potty trained... we did just panties, and she doesn't even have accidents anymore... she started about 3 weeks ago. try not to put her back in diapers after she is in panties, that's confusing. if you want to, you can do plastic liners over panties at naptime and bedtime... i don't even do that, but sometimes they just need that extra protection.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Your kid is old enough that there's nothing wrong with trying at thing point and seeing how it goes - she sounds like she'd definitely ready to give it a whirl.

Your kid is young enough, that there's also nothing wrong with stopping if it's really not happening after a few days, and putting it off for another month or so.

I'd vote to go for it, and see what happens.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Not too soon at all! My first daughter trained at 19 months straight-to-underwear. It took a little over a week, I think, but she had not a clue before we started, and yours sounds like she already gets it. Don't let anyone tell you under two is too young. My 18 month old is trained, too, and is sleeping in underwear as we speak. Here's the method that worked for us:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post
    I'd say just be consistent and persistent and don't give up or start worrying that "she's not ready" just because the first day or two seems rough. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2010