how bad are x-rays when pregnant?

I took my 2 yr old to the dentist and he was having his x-rays done sitting on my lap. Well, the assisstant guy forgot to ask if I may be pregnant, and I just blindly trusted if it was important they would have asked... anyways he took 2 x-rays and then asked and when I said I could be, he freaked out and stopped and almost started to cry.... so how bad is that? If I am pregnant, it would only be like a week or so along.

TXColter

Asked by TXColter at 10:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's really not that bad. You'd need hundreds of x-rays to actually do damage. You get barely more radiation from an x-ray than you do from the sun.
    Anonymous

• There maybe no damage done but go to the ob gyn quickly better safe than sorry.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• i was exposed to x-rays when my son got his arm done with a portable machine. the ob said that was ok....and my daughter seems to be completely normal so i guess it's ok lol. i was like 6 weeks though
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• X rays are bad when you are pregnant but the good news is that the most critical developmental stages are 3-8 weeks along...this is the time when the majority of birth defects will occur. So if you are pregnant and are only 1 week along...you are probably okay. If you are pregnant though, I would definitely mention this to your doctor. X rays are only known to really cause a 1 in 1,000 chance of creating a birth defect...granted you haven't been exposed to TONS of radiation.
    Anonymous

• x-rays these days (assuming it was relatively up-to-date equipment) have much less radiation than they used to.

I had to get an x-ray while pregnant (directly in my abdominal area even) and the x-ray tech talked to me about how the technology has changed, and how I would have needed to hang out in the x-ray room all day before needing to feel concerned.

It's always nice to take precaution with the bibs, but for a few x-rays not even pointed at you, I think you'll be just fine.
    Anonymous

• oh wow, thanks for the info... I've been so distracted about that and everything lately, that I couldn't even get motivated enough to google it. Thanks for all the reponses!
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 11:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• saw in my recent activity you posted a Q. I think you don't need to worry terribly the xray was not focused on your uterus was it? I feel your at a higher risk of issues with over use of ultrasound than one quick xray.

massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 5:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 1:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2010