Whats next, her wanting to get her belly button pierced ?

My 12 year old daughter ( just turned 12 4 month ago) wants to dye her hair and get highlights...she is only 12 ! And now that I tell her she is too young for that stuff, she gets an attitude and is like "well it isnt like I want it pink" , she wants it dark red with like "golden" highlights, which to me isnt much better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't see an issue with that. Its a big difference between dark red and golden and pink. Not that pink is wrong in itself I had pink hair but I was 15 by then. Its not going to lead her to peirce anything or what not. My daughter is 13 and had dyed her hair at that age. It was subtle and she decided that its not worth the hassle and let it fade back to her natural color after that one time.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• why not...i don't think this has to do anything with hair...it has to do with your need to control her....lots of girls dye their hair even younger than 12...its fun to change your look
    Anonymous

• My dad never let me dye my hair, but I am so happy he didnt. It cost alot to keep up with, specially if your hair is naturally dark like mine. Ill never dye my hair again. Its up to yall tho and yea, I think 12 is kinda young.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• 12 is too young.
    Anonymous

• the first time i died my hair was at 12. i did highlights. whats the big deal? she just wants to express herself. its not like its going to hurt her. IMO, your being a little too controling here. its her hair, and i have to agree - its not like she wants to do it pink. but hey, even if she did, so what - let her be her - i did blue highlights when i was 15. your her mother, you should support her in decisions and make her feel good about herself, as long as they are not hurting her.
    BTW, i now have my belly button, septum, lip, tounge, and clit pierced!!! so watch out! haha =)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• The rule in our house while I was growing up was can't dye our hair until we're 13. Maybe if you set up some sort of timeline for her to look forward to it'll tone down her attitude. Or you could make dyeing her hair some sort of reward for something, say raising her grades or doing extra chores without being asked.

And piercing is a completely different matter. Personally, I wouldn't let my dd pierce anything besides ears until she was 17-18.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 11:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My daughter started doing some of her hair pink around 10 or 11... seriously what is the big deal? it is just COLOR
    I think in life you need to choose your battles and if hair color is going to be such a big deal...I wonder if she will come to you with other -bigger stuff if you know what I mean.
    As for it leading to her wanting piercings, maybe it will- maybe it won't but seriously I don't see the big deal...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• wow- should have proofread that and changed a couple of the "big deals"! oh well...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I would and did take my daughter to get her hair colored and highlighted when she was 13 she loved it and so did I.We had many great days in the salons make it mother and daughter time.I let my daughter get her belly button pierced when she was in the 7th grade she went to a small school and was the first in her class to have it done she always took care of it ,it never got infected and she didn't wear inappropriate clothes to draw attention to it.I wouldn't make such a big deal about small things when you do thats when kids rebel and go behind your back to do things. I'm not saying to let your kid run the show just try to find a happy medium to keep the lines of communication open.
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I hope her dad is in the picture bc if he isn't it is only going to get worse I remember when my sd was 10 her mom got her highlights in her hair and her dad was pissed anyway time goes by and for her 13th birthday as a gift from her mom to her dd she took her to go get a belly piercing and it was secretly done never to tell dad but guess what the only reason my dh found out was bc when she was visiting us she was laying on the bed and gave a very long stretch while my dh was in the room with her talking to her...boy he was pissed he felt like he had no say so to his own dd. Anyway years later she is old enough to do whatever but damn it sucks when they are not old enough and no father figure in their life. GL the only reason she wants all this is to blend in with her friends and their parents probably don't watch their kids the way you do. So if you can NO means NO!!!

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2010