Can anyone tell me about Aspergers Syndrome?

We have been told my gson has Aspergers Syndrome, ADHD, and asthma. He is having a hard time socially at school. My daughter and I believe he would benefit from homeschooling for a year or two. He is getting ready to start first grade.
I have a hard time distinguishing what is the Aspergers, and what is a 6 year old little boy.
I need to find all the information I can to help him grow up healthy, happy, and able to function on his own.
I would also like your opinion on medication for children with ADHD. I have tried so hard not to let anyone give him medicine for this, but maybe I'm wrong. He may be happier on meds.
I need answers.

Butterflybaby2

Asked by Butterflybaby2 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in

• Asperger's syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder. It causes children to have a lack of social interactions and restricted and repetative intrests and actions. I would look I am sure there is a group on here for it. As to the meds for ADHD I was happier with them but not everyone is. I would try them out and if they don't suit your son's needs he can always go off them.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• You need to change his diet before trying any medications. He's too young to be a guinea pig for harmful medications. My son has AS and is almost 6. He is not on medication.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My son has Aspergers and is mainstreamed in school, He didnt go on medication until he was 10 and had several years of therapy and learning coping skills before we started meds. The medication helps with his sensory disorder, that is the only reason we medicate, his sensory overload had become so intense that he couldnt function and his tics had escalated because of it. I havent had to deal with ADHD in a child with Aspergers so I would think talking with a doctor would be best. My son takes a low dose of Prozac, he is the one who decided to stay on it after giving it a 6 week trial, he told us that his senses were not bothering him anymore. I dont homeschool because my son is learning at school how to read people and needs that social interaction/practice

This link is great for grandparents I gave it to my inlaws and my mom to help them understand what we are dealing with http://asdrendrewolf.org/apovonautism/letter.php
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I should have mentioned also my son is 12 now and in middle school so we have entered a whole new ball park as far as school but he is doing amazing and still recieves therapy at school while taking all mainstream advanced classes. At the age of 6 I never would have put him on medication, matter of fact I was one of those moms who screamed DO NOT MEDICATE but by age 10 it had become clear to me when my son developed new problems such as rocking and hitting himself that we had to try something different. My son had a voice in that decision, he always has a voice when it comes to his medical treatment, with his IQ he understand the science behind it better than I do sometimes, he prefers the meds.

I have heard that a gluten free diet can help reduce meltdowns, We only recently started reducing gluten but not because of Aspergers, we did it because my son developed stomach issues that our family has a histroy of.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Kids with Aspergers are often be great students and thrive in the school setting. Homeschooling may hinder his social development. Kids on the spectrum, just like any kid, relate to adults and their peers differently when parents aren't around. I have an Autistic student this year (mainstreamed) who is doing great. His mom came to our class party and he shut down completely. I hadn't seen him like that since the first week of school. He does much better when he has time away from her because he is basically forced to interact with other people. It's helping him learn that he can cope with his anxiety.

I agree that medication at this age is something to try and avoid. Checking into to dietary changes is a great idea.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Get the book, "The OASIS Guide to Asperger Syndrome" by Patricia Romanowski Bashe and Barbara L. Kirby, published by Crown Books and available at most books stores & on Amazon.com. The book is very comprehensive, explaining everything from why your kid does that to therapies & interventions (both medical & otherwise) to how to deal with the schools. It's a great starting point for someone new to the syndrome.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Asburgers is commonly misdiagnosed AS adhd! so i would get a second opinion on everything. if you think homeschooling would be good, try it! you do need to find something where he can be social with his peers. maybe there is a local group for aspie kids. i am sure you can find a regular homeschooling group for him to go with to field trips ,,, etc.. i have ASD. i have never been medicated for it. my mother controlled sugar like a natzii when i was a child. that really helps! i am married with kids, i am a teacher, about to become the principal to my school. i was never even in therapy but i think it could have helped me as i learned many lessons the hard way. Aspies just think differently. you need to read up on the syndrome and take all that info with a serious Grain of Salt because we are still learning so much about it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I dont know much but its a form of Autism
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010