For those that have a bachelor's degree...

Did you get an associates degree first? I didn't think I needed one at my old school (a university) than I went to a community college for a semester to catch up on some things and now everyone is talking about getting one. I took my major classes while at the university and so I didn't think it mattered to get one. Did I do it wrong?I'm transferring back to a university this summer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There's no "right" answer, but getting your assoc first at a community college is massively cheaper. Nobody cares what school it's from, and it lets you get all your gen ed classed done for a third of the price of going to a university. It also helps if you need to go back to work before you can finish the Bachelor's.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• You didn't do it wrong. You don't need an associate's to get a bachelor's. But you do need a bachelor's to get a masters.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 11:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I didn't think it was a big deal until I got to the school I'm at now. I wanted to get my major classes out of the way and then take it somewhat easy during the senior or junior year..OP
    Anonymous

• I just have my bachelors too.

It seems to me, what some colleges would call your associates, a university would call the "emphasis" in your major. I think employers know that.
    Anonymous

• yeah but saying you have more than one degree sounds so much cooler. I ended up with an AA, AS, BA, BS and Master's.
    Anonymous

• An Associate's Degree isn't going to get you much. Most people/employers don't care if you got one or not if you have a Bachelor's.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 11:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I went straight to a University. The people I know who have gone to like Ivy tech and gotten an associates first ended up spending more time in school than they would have just going to a university. I don't know about other places, but where I went the credits transferred but not hte classes. So people end up re-taking a lot of the core classes.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Went straight to bachelors. The school I went to had lots of tricks and getting associates first would slow you down and keep you there way longer. I graduated in exactly 4 years and did not bother with getting classes over in the associates order.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Also I went to a CUNY so most of these offer associates, bachelors and masters in the same school and they try to get u to get an associates first because you wind up being there and additional semester or two and they make more money lol. But the tuition is cheap either way.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• No, I went to a Cal State school and got my Bachelor's in 4 years. You do not need an AA for anything, really. It is just normally for people who stop at that and don't continue on. Having a Bachelor's carries the assumption that you completed enough units to have an AA.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2010