Do you have ur kids birthdays ON their actual birthday

I am not able to have a birthday party for my one year old right on her first birthday bc it is on easter.....i didnt want to mix the two so we are having it a couple weeks later bc thats the next time both parents can get together since we are seperated but want a joint birthday.
My family keeps making comments that I should have it on easter, but not everyone can come that day anyways....so frustrating. Plus they think its stupid to have a joint birthday party but me and my ex are civil/friends and think its important to be able to do a few things together for the childs sake.....

What am i missing here that i am doing so wrong? geesh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• No we don't always do it on the actual day.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• You sound like you are making all the right choices for your family. Your family's advice sounds sort of ignorant to me. Sorry...it does. Anytime parents can be civil for a childs sake is precious and somewhat unheard of so you both should be there. And doing it away from Easter so you can really focus on her will make her birthday that more special. Go with your gut!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Well first off, do what YOU think is best. If you think it would be too much to have it on Easter and would rather do it at a more convenient time...then do that. The last thing you want is to be flustered and overstimulated on your childs first birthday.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 1:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I used to have my kids birthday parties the weekend before there birthday and would go all out with invites, like the whole family but with money and stuff, I started having there parties exactly on there birthday no matter what and only invite very close family members, the ones that see my kids everyday....

If I were you I would give her a small cake and maybe one gift on her birthday and then have your joint birthday as planned!!!

Hope all works for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• unless its already on a weekend then most likely no...my dd's bday is the 22nd but we are going to celebrate the 24th
    mom_on_strike

Answer by mom_on_strike at 2:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• We always do it the weekend before, or after.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 9:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• If the birthday falls on a weekend, then we have it on the day. If not, we have it on the weekend closest. My little one's birthday will be Thanksgiving weekend this year. Starting at age 2, the birthday child gets to pick where we go for dinner on their actual birthday.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think you and your ex have the right idea to pick a day that works out for both of you and celebrate it together!! What my hubs and I do for our 3 boys is this-- Our older 2 boys have birthdays that are a week apart, so we pick a Saturday in the birthday month to have a together party for the family to come to. Then on the boys individual birthdays we have a 'just us' day--either at home or we go out and have a fun day (depends on what the birthday boy wants to do). We do the same thing for the 3rd. My boys like it as they feel they get 2 birthdays.
    My niece's birthday is in November and sometimes it falls on Thanksgiving. When it does my mil will buy a cake and we sing happy birthday to niece. My niece told me she does not like it when her birthday is on the holiday, because she feels a bit 'cheated' - that she does not get her own day, that her birthday is kind of 'added on' to the holiday.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• we celebrate the birthday on the day with family - my oldest's is around easter, 2 years ago it was ON easter, we had brunch and birthday party all in one it was GREAT! she had a blast! more of the family came out for the party than a normal holiday.

but she was also turning 7. I think the only way they feel cheated is if you make a bigger deal out of the holiday than the birthday.

emphasize that its YOUR BIRTHDAY!! oh and that is so awesome its also Easter! you get more than normal! aren't you lucky!

for school parties with friends we try to do it within a couple days or so. this year oldest's bday was a Tuesday, we had the party on saturday.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Parties are always on a Saturday, no matter what day of the week the actual birthday falls. My DH's birthday is Monday, but we are celebrating it with a family party on Easter.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2010