Is it the teacher's place?

I am curious about opinions on this from both sides. Is a teacher out of line for telling a student (young elementary school age, not teenage) that using the phrase "oh my god" is not appropriate?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:16 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think that it is out of the teachers realm to tell a student that's inappropriate. As long as it was done in a professional manor.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• No. It's her place to say "that phrase offends me, please don't use it in my classroom", but it's not her place to punish children for using it or to tell them it's inappropriate.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:21 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I do think it's fine because it can be offense to other students. However, I do NOT think it's appropriate to penalize the student for saying it. I think the teacher can encourage students to use alternative phrases out of respect for other students, and explain it to the student.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• nah i see no problem,if she said "don't use the lords name in vaine" then people can complain (i myself not being one of them) but her statement is harmless.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Oops, offensive.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Not at all! I never use that word and would never let me kids say that. Its another thing to say oh my gosh but not the other way around. Havent you ever heard never to use the lords name in vein? If you knew me, Im not the church going person even though I attended church many times as a child but as an adult I just am not interested. I believe in god and have a relationship with him meaning I believe and prey but I just choose not to attend any church. Just hearing people say that phrase makes me upset, I have never like that so I dont think the teacher was out of place at all. People could take that very offensivly but on the other hand where do you think this child got that from, the parents more then likely or possibly picked it up from another child but I would have to go with the parents.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Yes because it's offensive to people from a number of religions.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• If someone had a habit of using "oh my God" the way some people say "y'know" or "like"....I would EXPECT the teacher to say something. There's a language deficiency at work.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• No, the teacher would not be out of line. Children need to be taught to respect names that people hold reverence for. It doesn't matter whether you believe in God or not, that's your right, but the teacher has the right to ask the child not use God's name in a disrespectful manner. Obviously, it offended her.

I find it highly offensive when people say "God da**." I wouldn't say "Allah da**" because I know it would offend Muslims. I wouldn't say "Buddha da**" because I wouldn't want to offend Buddhists. It's a matter of respect, regardless if you worship that particular deity or not.  We all have to learn to be tolerant of one another's various belief systems, regardless of what we believe ourselves.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think it would be better if the teacher were to send a note to the parents instead. But I guess it would depend on how the teacher told the student as well, calling them out in front of the class would be humiliating to the student. If something like that ever happened to you I think you know how horrid it was. I can tell you from experience that it doesn't make for a very good learning environment.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:01 AM on Apr. 2, 2010