piggy banks

At what age is it appropriate to introduce a piggy bank to your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did it when my son was an infant and he knew it was his, and until this day he still knows. I guess It just depends on the child.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 1:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Our boys have had them awhile and they are now 7 and 10. They like saving money....we even made them their own special banks.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 1:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My child has had one since she was born. It was actually one that my mom and dad bought me to "save for college" when we were visiting the private college I was supposed to attend. When I had my daughter and ended up at a local university instead, I thought it was appropriate for my daughter to use it instead. She's been putting money into it since she was two and a half.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I got my baby a piggy bank and shes not even born yet.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 2:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• my DD got a pink piggy bank b4 she was born. Well now that she is a toddler(21 months) she recently broke it, so i put all the money in a wipey box...lol...its safe though we keep it high where she cant get it
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My kids have all had piggy banks since birth and savings accounts at the credit union since the age of 6.

Answer by missanc at 9:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I gave all my girls a piggy bank when they were born.

most of the older people we know gave them a little baggie of change when born, and for birthdays

so they've always known that change goes in there, and one day we'll open them and count it. they love finding change around the house, and the tooth fairy and birthday money etc...goes in the piggy bank (big bills go in the real bank)

youngest even collects change from pockets that are still being WORN! lol

I've had bank accounts for each since they were born as well and put $20 in each every month.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I've had piggy banks and savings for the boys since I was pregnant with them. It's never too early.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I bought my son a plastic piggy bank when he was an infant. I told my husband it would double as the "swear jar." It's the beginning of his college fund. I also put all the coins my husband leaves laying around in it.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 1:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2010