What Kind of Doctor?

I live in a very small town so the doctors here do everything (i only trust two of them) from infants to elderly. They no longer deliver babies because of insurance so I go out of town for all my prenatal care. I was thinking about a pedatrician. I don't know if I want to go with a "town doctor" or get a real pediatrician. The drive is only 45mins so thats not really an issue to me.

What's your opinion general practicioner or pediatric specialist?

TamlynM2B

Asked by TamlynM2B at 1:34 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Health

• I am in a small town and drive the 45 minutes. I have had too many bad experiences with the small town doctors, almost died in labor once, and then had a ped. ignore my two sons symptoms over and over until i went to the ER and proved him wrong then my boys were sick for 4 months because he wouldnt treat them properly. Ever since changing to the other doctors we have great care and i had another baby and drama free delivery.

If you can drive the 45 minutes, to me it is worth it and i have been doing it for 6 years now.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:58 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Whichever one will support breastfeeding the best lol. Most doctors don't know jack about it, and so inadvertently give moms information that makes them less likely to succeed or flat out push formula.

The only time a pediatrician is REALLY necessary is when there are issues. if you have a healthy kid a general practitioner is totally fine. I switched to a Ped only because my family prac doc sucked and got too big. i got tired of the nurses always telling me to give my baby a bottle and so I switched a to a small pediatric practice.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:01 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• We have a shortage of peds here, so I chose a family dr for my kids. I didn't want my kids taking the spot of a kid who really needed a ped for health reasons when my kids are pretty healthy with no underlying medical problems. Plus I really, really don't like the ped we'd have to be seeing. He knows his stuff and is a great Dr, but he really comes across as a pompus ass. And I really trust my family Dr. He's given great care to my hubby and I (as well as my in-laws), knows our medical histories, will ask about other family members at our appts.

So like another poster said, in most cases a ped is not necessary, and if you like and trust your family Dr they are qualified to care for your baby. But it's what you are comfortable with for your child.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:17 AM on Apr. 2, 2010