for moms who spend their child to daycare...

My son is 9 mths old and I'm about to go tback to work and I don't have any close family or friends that could babysit for me. So my only option is daycare and I would just like to hear from other moms how old their child was when they first enrolled them in daycare and you and your child like it?

momluvsmiles

Asked by momluvsmiles at 2:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was about 5 months old..just before babies start to show signs of separation anxiety. He enjoyed having other kids around him. Wanted to do what they were doing..like the older ones who were walking he tried at 9 months to walk to and walked at about 11 months. My son had no trouble going to kindergarden, It was an easy transition i guess you could say. He has no trouble making friends and is now 9 and is very much social and a people person. My daughter on the other hand who has been around just a select few family members will only go to those family members.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 3:42 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My DS1 was about 6 months old i think when my mom (his mom at the time) sent him to childcare. No he did not like the long hours spent in the center. Even when he got older he did not like the hours he had to spend there so he started acting out and such, and eventually got kicked from the center.

DS2 was not in my care during his first childcare experience (my stepson), but 2 years after his first (short lived) experience i sent him to Montessori and he (and i) loved it! it was only part time.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• The first time my oldest was 3 months old, he went to a in home daycare at the neighbors house across the street. He loved her and she watched him until he was 2 and we moved away. we would go back and visit and he would go see her and she loved seeing him. He is now 12 and hasnt seen her in about 8 years but still remembers her. If you pick the right person it can be a wonderful relationshiip for your child. I always knew he was well loved and taken care of. She called him her "lil white grandbaby" LOL which used to crack me up and he called her nannie just like her own grandkids did. It was a very sweet relationship I truly miss her and wished she had been close by when I had my other children.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My oldest was 8 months old the first time he went to daycare. He was ok with it. My second was 2 years old when he first went to day care. He hated it but after 2 years of being home with mommy or daddy I'm not surprised. My third was 2 months old. He didn't care one way or the other. He was too little then.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:29 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• It's not your only option. You could have someone come to your home. You could have your baby go to someone's home that only cares for her own children or that cares for a few other children. Both of these are much better for your baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Did I like it? No. As soon as I could switch from a traditional day care to a Montessori school I did. Our local Montessori school didn't have classes until they were 15 months. We love his school and he will be there until the end of ninth grade. My son did not know any better in terms of day care or being watched by someone else in our home since he only had the option of daycare. He was content, a happy baby, and he never had difficulty in going to his daycare. In fact, he really enjoyed some of his care providers and had a few he obviously favored more than others. I did not have someone come to my home because in a day care setting it reduces the chances of severe neglect and abuse. There are other service workers in that setting. With one person alone in their home or mine - unless I had cameras hooked up, I would not know if there were times my child was neglected.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:42 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• 6 months and for the first year I had him in a home enviorment with a lady who also had a baby! I think that when they are mobile a "daycare" setting can be fun and help them interact, but that young I would say 1 on 1 contact is much better than a center.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:46 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Im fortunate enough to be able to stay at home, and I have an inhome daycare. Now, if it were MY child that I had to decide whether to send to a daycare center, or an in home daycare, I would go with a daycare center. Because honestly, say, my house catches on fire, my kids go out first. Sorry. Your child will come second to an inhome daycare providers children. I know that must sound HORRIBLE, but its the truth, and in my shoes, Im sure alot of you would be the same. lol.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My son started at 4 months old. He's always been pretty well adjusted to it. He had a SAHM babysitter for about 9 months, that was probably his favorite because he got to play outside a lot more. But he's 2 and he walks into daycare and goes to his class, gives me a kiss and I'm on my way-- he loves it

Me, I deal with it-- LOL I;d much rather be home with him, but I love the center he is in, I can watch him frm work on their cameras online--and the staff is really great most of the time :-)
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Lindsay Pope was my manager at a furniture store in OKC. I will NOT take my son to an in-home daycare that is not licensed and experienced. I am fortunate enough to get to stay home too, but I'm thinking about taking on a part-time job this summer to earn some extra cash before baby #2 gets here this fall. I would take my DS to daycare for a few months before I would take him to some other mom's house unless she was highly recommended and licensed.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2010