What can cause high blood pressure in someone not even 30?

My brother went to the dr today after a week of high blood pressure readings @the pharmacy.The dr took blood to run test and put him on a medication to lower his blood pressure.The dr also gave him a referral and on the slip he wrote:severe anxiety.I have been on line reading about h.b.p all day,and I am uncertain if h.b.p has to have an underlying condition.I am worried sick.His blood test results will be in next week.As far as I know our family doesnt have any history of this.And he has been a very nervous and worried person for as long as I can remember,he also smokes.If anyone has any accurate information on what could be causing this or any other information I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.Also,I do not believe that he has any other medical symptoms other than this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Health

• High blood pressure can be from anxiety without any heart disease. If he learns meditation or relaxation training he can learn to lower it himself. He can buy a blood pressure cuff and learn what works to lower his blood pressure. It's called biofeedback.

It sounds like he needs help for anxiety. He may need to make changes in his life, therapy, and medication. Some people have anxiety most of their lives. There are times when it is under better control. Try searching google for info on anxiety.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• anxiety causes really high blood pressure, so does pain. smoking also increases your bp. if he's got anxiety, he should be on anxiety meds because that will lower his bp better than any bp med will. take him to a psychiatrist and get him on xanax or klonopin. if he's always been a nervous person he obviously needs to be on an axiety med.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 4:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Smoking, anxiety, high sodium diet, being overweight or obese.....all those things can cause HBP in anyone, no matter what their age.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Genetics

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:13 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My dad had really high blood pressure about 20 years ago. Doctor told him to find a hobby or get put on medication. He said no to the medication and took up quilting...yes quilting. My grizzly adams looking father makes some of the prettiest quilts you have ever seens. Since he started this about 20 years ago, his blood pressure runs around 130 over 59ish. The hobby worked for him.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:32 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My husband started it at the age of 28. He was pretty out of shape, smoked prior, and had a very poor diet. He is on a very strict work out schedule, eating healthy and has lost weight. His BP is now completely normal without ever having taken meds.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Anxiety can cause high blood pressure, but smoking does not help especially if you have anxiety - it
    s going to make his blood pressure worse. The number one thing he needs to do is quit smoking. High cholesterol also leads to high blood pressure , and that is genetic as well. (can be.) Also to get his anxiety in check if he has an actual diagnosed anxiety condition. There's medication for that if he is willing to take it and there are also a lot of medications for high blood pressure (and choloesterol.) They will check his cholesterol when they take his blood. (LDL is bad, HDL is good). They can also do a stress test. So many Americans have high blood pressure, and as long as he catches it now and gets it under control (and checks out his cholesterol-that is the main thing here - e.g. blocked arteries = heart attack, stroke) he should be able to manage it for the rest of his life. GL t your brother!
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Lots of things. I used to crave salt. When I was in my mid to late twenties everything became way to salty, I think that's when my BP became high. I was put on HCTZ a few years ago, and it's been good. I still don't need much salt.
    Many things can cause high BP. As long as it's controlled, it's ok. But he also needs to get other things under control as well. What ever other medical conditions, mental or physical.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My husband was only 26 when his blood pressure landed him in the hospital. It was so high he the nurse at the ER didn't know how he was even awake... As it turned out, it wasn't cased by anxiety as his doctors had first thought, but by kidney issues. The doctors said that there is a high percentage of people dealing with issues like his, but that it's not usually checked. So make sure his kidneys are checked as that could be the cause.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I agree with michiganmom!

Answer by older at 10:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2010