Getting fed up, how can I make her eat solids?

my daughter just turned one. i breastfeed her between 4-8 times a day,depends what kinda day it is! i attempt to replace her breastfeeding with meals but she's not having it. not that its me giving it to her, even other family members cant get her to take a bite. i buy her toddler meals. she refuses those, along with any type of pureed veggies/fruits. even if i place food on her tray, like bananna slices, she just throws it down. arrrrgh. this isn't working. and i want to begin weaning but that seems impossible, since that's where she gets all of her nutrition.

StrongYoungMom

Asked by StrongYoungMom at 3:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like she needs to be evaluated by an occupational therapist. Breastfed babies that won't start solids can have tactile defensiveness. Their mouths and maybe other parts of their bodies are too sensitive to touch and they feel it as weird or painful. They are ok with the breast but not anything else.

If your baby isn't eating she needs to breastfeed more for brain growth and to avoid failure to thrive. Food wars is not the way to start solids. An occupational therapist trained to help babies with tactile issues can help babies very quickly.

I have a son that had/has this problem. I had to feed him foods a certain texture and body temp on my finger to start. There is also body massage several times a day. Then you work up to a special spoon. My son is now 21 and there are still textures he avoids. He doesn't drink soda. His skin is sensitive. My skin is sensitive too. It can run in families.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:32 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Ran out of room.

The World Health Org recommends brestfeeding at least 2 years. If your child has tactile problems or other developmental problems this may be a good goal. She may continue to need the nutrition, protection from infections, and developmental benefits.

I know some people think breastfeeding is just a choice. If you have a child that has "issues" then breastfeeding becomes necessary.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:36 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• DId you try to put a little of the puree on your finger to her lip? Once she gets a taste she may enjoy it. Babies who are breast fed tend to enjoy the sweeter foods.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 3:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My daughter didn't take to solid food very quickly either,try putting it on your finger tip, we started with plain mashed potatos. Then bits of other foods here and there, and now thats she's one you can give her regular milk. Have you tried juice?
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 3:58 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• What about giving her some of what you're eating? Does she seem interested at all when you are eating something and making a big deal about how good it is? My son ALWAYS wants to taste whatever mommy/daddy has - even when he has his own snack or he's not really hungry. Make sure it's something healthy and relatively soft.

Answer by missanc at 9:17 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• She's not going to starve from a day or two of not eat. Have you started giving her regular milk? If don't feed her as much she is eventually going to get hungry and eat what's in front of her. My son was the same way, he never wanted to eat. Even things he liked i'd have to shove in his mouth and then after tasting it he would realize he liked it and eat the whole thing. I would try force feeding her just to get the taste maybe that's all she needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2010