Plus size maxi dress? yay or nay?

Do you think a plus size woman could pull off a maxi dress? I'm a size 2x and fairly pear shaped. For some reason I am obsessed with these dresses. I don't own one but really want to! I've only seen one picture of a woman in a maxi dress on all the websites (that includes lane bryant...) who actually looked overweight...and she really did not look good. So what do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Some maxi dresses can make everyone look fat. I think it has to be something you try on. I wear a 1x and can wear long tank dresses. Even if you are wide at the waist you don't want a lot of extra fabric there. If you can find something that has a little stretch in the material and a little bit of a fitted waist it will make a huge difference.

Good luck!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Original poster here...I want one that has an empire waist. I think I'd prefer one that was a linenish type fabric so it flows away from the body and doesn't cling. I've really only found one or two that I liked. All the plus size ones I've found don't look like the non plus size dresses. The straps are typically not the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I have one, and i wear a 1X, i think I look good in it.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 4:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think they are very flattering for pretty much any size. : )
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 10:56 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Not many women can pull off maxi dresses. They look particularly bad on pear shaped women and shorter women (I happen to be both!) A trick to offset the imbalance is to wear a thick black belt with it and make sure that the top around the neckline is embellished. This keeps the eyes away from the dreaded thunder thigh look like so many of us pear shapers have! Wedge heels or flats work best too.
    Anonymous

• Yay!
    Anonymous

• Absolutely! They are very flattering on a heavier gal! GO FOR IT!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2010