BABY FOOD....

WHEN MY DD WAS 5 TO 6 MONTHS OLD SHE ATE FOOD LIKE SHE WAS STARVING, SHE IS NOW 8 MONTHS OLD AND WON'T EAT AT ALL. WHEN I DO TRY TO FEED HER SHE GAGS ON THE FOOD, I HAVE TRIED FRUIT, VEGGIES AND MEATS. SHE DOES OK WITH COOKIES OR PUFFS BUT HOW CAN I GET HER TO START EATING HER AGAIN????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Technically, babies under one year old don't need anything but breastmilk or formula. Food is only introduced for practice. They really only need to eat food when they are getting off formula or breastmilk and put on Whole milk. So, as long as your baby is still getting breastmilk or formula...she doesn't have to eat any solids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Give her doctor a call. It doesn't sound right that she was eating food and is suddenly not wanting to. It's fine to feed baby food. Yes, the primary form of food for the first year is breastmilk for formula but really it's totally unrealistic to expect a baby to live on a liquid diet for a year. Not only that but I can't imagine feeding every two hours for a solid year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Not all kids eat every two hours. My son had a bottle every 4 hours. That was his schedule. Yes, he did eat slid foods, but, he continued to eat a bottle every 4 hours. He had around 32 oz of formula a day. I fed food beyond that. So, his nutrients were mostly formula and solids to fill in the blanks. This was also 14 years ago. Nowadays, I would not do the same thing. I would rely more on Breastmilk or formula and WAY less on solids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:34 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Try table foods, but don't push them. Just put it on her tray (soft steamed veggies, soft fruits, etc...) and let her experiment.

She doesn't need baby food, and she doesn't need more than your milk or formula right now... so let her learn and experiment.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• She could be teething, Teething can do strange things to babies. Or it could be she isnt ready for table foods you eat. Dont ues the stage 3s if you are stay with the smooth stage 2s, My son wouldnt eat the 3 until 10 months and he did that for only a month and wont eat baby food at all now he is 11 months old. And your all wrong baby food is added at 6 months for a reason. They do need the extra vitemins in it becouse your milk or fourmula isnt enough. My son's doctor says they are more active and need more at this point. Yes your milk forumla should be the main part but baby food isnt horrible and it adds extra stuff they need too.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• It was around that age that my son started refusing baby foods. We started him on table foods. Anything soft that you can cut small is perfect. Soft cooked carrots, bananas, mango, avacado, soft cooked sweet potato, etc. Google first finger food ideas.
    xocassandralee

Answer by xocassandralee at 5:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2010