Very picky eater...

Our daughter will be 2 in May. All she eats is carbs. With the exception of yogurt and cheese. She use to like meat but now won't even touch it. Won't eat eggs, soup, "grilled" cheese and the only veggies is peas. She like the Earth's Best cookies which do have iron and low sugar but she can't live off cookies! Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put fresh fruits and veggies in front of her everyday...she will not starve. Eventually, she will eat. By allowing her to control right now, you are gonna have bigger issues later. She "WON'T" eat some stuff and will eat others because you allowed it to happen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• OP here: I wil not force feed my kid. That will also lead to problems!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I didn't say force feed her. I said sit it in front of her. You don't force her to eat any of it. Offer it and she will eat it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• She will eat, eventually. If she's hungry enough, she'll eat whatever you put in front of her.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Offer her balanced meals. Eat or don't eat. If she don't eat, wrap it & offer it the next time she says she's hungry or at the next meal. She will not starve herself. Eventually you will regain control of the situation.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My sister has a 5 year old that was having that same problem, if it wasn't a bread or candy or sweet, he wouldn't eat it. I don't feel like she really pushed him to eat much else or followed through with trying to get him to eat other things. He recently had to have like3 teeth pulled... at 5!!
    But I can also understand where you are coming from. I have had my nieces son placed with us. He just turned two and has been living with us about a year. In the beginning he would eat anything we gave him and time went on he got pickier and pickier. Sometimes he even refuses to even try stuff I know he likes. He goes straight for the carb. I too have problems with him so I don't presume to have the answers, but here are some things I have tried and seem to work.

(continued in next post)
    Mindessa

Answer by Mindessa at 2:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• i put stuff on his plate even if I know he won't eat it and offer it to him again later like suggested.
    I give him sweet potato fries because he thinks they are french fries but still have needed vitamins.
    He likes pasta, so I buy Prego chunk vegetable spaghetti sauce because it has extra vegies in it but they aren't noticeable.
    I wouldn't worry about her not eating meat, from what I understand it is normal for kids to not eat alot of meat. I would just make sure she is getting other sources of protein, peanut butter for example.
    Another thing to try is different dipping sauces she could dip vegies in, my little man likes raw baby carrots and peanut butter.
    We also give him carnation instant breakfast in his milk atleast twice a day.
    He has seen a nutritionist and other Dr.'s who say that carbs are fine if the child is active just try and get them to eat 5 servings (2 TBSP) a day of fruits and vegetables.
    Good Luck!
    Mindessa

Answer by Mindessa at 3:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2010