• In the Spotlight:

Woman faced possible 20yrs in prision for amimal cruelty. She left her 2 cats in her apartment to starve to death. She left because of an abusive boyfriend? Do you think 20 yrs was fair punishment or excessive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Pets

• Yes it's excessive. People get less than that for killing other people. Here our minimum for killing a person is 13 years.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Yes, that's excessive. Especially since she left because of an abusive bf.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Personally I think animal cruelty should have tougher sentences and I'm glad this woman is facing what she did. How hard it is to take the cats into consideration when leaving? There are plenty of shelters and spca's who allow drop offs with no questions asked. Hell, just letting them outside to fend for themselves would have been better than locking them in a home to starve.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Did she actually receive 20 years or is it the maximum punishment she could potentially receive? 20 years is excessive (it's probably 10 yrs per cat). But if she hasn't been sentenced yet I highly doubt she'd actually receive that much time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• If she was leaving an abusive relationship, wasn't the bf still in the apartment? That doesn't make sense because then they weren't alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• O P Here : No in actuality she was acquitted of the charges.
    Anonymous

• same thing happened to my mom. she left my father and ran with us in the middle of the night. even though he left the apartment after her she was charged when they found us and we were turned over to our abusive dad cause she was ordered to 500 hours cs and 2 yrs probation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think she should have went back when he wasn't there and taken the cats to a shelter,,,,probably the charged her with the maximum because they wanted the press. Do you know if the cats died or not? She also could have called animal control to remove them on their own... I do think she should have been fined/punished like doing some sort of community service, but 20 years is a bit extreme!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:37 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I don't think that's enough info to make a judgment. does she have prior offenses? what were the specific circumstances? did the bf actually live with her? could she have taken the pets when she fled? and just because its "possible 20 years" that just means max sentencing which is always high for those crazy circumstances. etc etc.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• That's dumb. She left because of an abusive boyfriend, then no, she wasn't thinking of her cats. && Honestly, she left the cats with him && he didn't feed them, he should be doing the time.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 9:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2010