Will car insurance go up from a speeding ticket?

My husband will kill me if it goes up, the ticket was 100. and 2 points.....The officer said it wont, only accidents make the insurance go up. Does anyone know....?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• As far as I know...yes, your car insurance rate can be increased for any traffic violation.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 9:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Not necessarily. If you go to traffic court they will reduce it so it doesn't. So if he said it won't, it won't. I got a ticket going 16 over, went to court cause I had to, and they reduced it. It didn't affect my insurance.
    So, you aren't gonna tell your hubby? LOL!!!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• It all depends on several factors: How many tickets have you had in the last three years? How much over the limit was the ticket for? Did they give you the option of doing traffic school? If your record is clean, then it probably will not cause the insurance to go up, but if your record is unclean then there is a probability that it will increase. The last two tickets I got I was given the option of traffic school which I did online and my insurance never even was notified.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 9:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Go to traffic court. The procecuter could move it to a nonmoving violation and it won't show up for yur insurance. It may cost you more but it is worth it in the long run.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My husband just received a speeding ticket. He paid $334 plus $79 for the ability to go to traffic school plus $29 for traffic school. When he completes traffic school it will not go on his record.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I'll let you know when my next insurance premiums are due in June. My son (on my policy) got two speeding tickets within 3 weeks. He went to court and driving school....but I still have the sneaking suspicion that the insurance rate will go up. Oh well, his problem....he pays for his part.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Your best bet is to look at your insurance policy or call your insurance agent and find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Mine didn't

Answer by admckenzie at 1:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Holy Shit Orionsgirl! He paid that much!!! How much was he clocked at? I was 16 over, mine was lowered, but I don't know what to. My ticket, including court fees was like $245. My insurance didn't go up.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2010