sunscreen

my dd is only 4 months but she is a red head with pale skin i just want to put a little sunscreen on her what do you think should i put it on or not

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope. It is not meant for babies under 6 months. Just keep her covered up. My son was pale and I took him to Florida to the beach at 4 months old in July. He had on a swim diaper and a t-shirt and a hat, I also made sure he had an umbrella over him the whole time. He never needed sunscreen. and he never got a sunburn.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• This is from the AAP's website:
    Babies under 6 months:

The two main recommendations from the AAP to prevent sunburn are to avoid sun exposure, and dress infants in lightweight long pants, long-sleeved shirts, and brimmed hats that shade the neck to prevent sunburn. However when adequate clothing and shade are not available, parents can apply a minimal amount of suncreen with at least 15 SPF (sun protection factor) to small areas, such as the infant's face and the back of the hands. If an infant gets sunburn, apply cold compresses to the affected area.

I wouldn't use sunscreen, tho - too many harsh chemicals for a baby's delicate skin.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:34 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• i agree with wheeping about sun avoidance and protective clothing. for sunscreen, in the case of an emergency only, i would try something all natural...no chemicals. you can google cosmetics with no synthetics for some options.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• No - most sunscreens, even the "baby" ones say not for use by children under 6 months. Just keep her out of the sun! I always kept mine under a huge umbrella when we went to the beach - and still do when they are out of the water!

Answer by missanc at 11:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• The AAP used to reccomend not using it only because they felt that parents would rely ONLY on sunscreen and not dress their infants properly. (per my Pediatrician) They have since changed their minds (above) and said that using a little sunscreen on a baby under 6 months is OK. (I asked my Ped when DS was 4 months and we used it on him) She just told me to make sure not to get anything scented or with a ton of chemicals in it. I cant remember the brand we ended up using, but it was all natural and gave me peace of mind even though it was worn under his UV protection clothes/big floppy hat, and we kept him in the shade.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• *recommend
    jenellemarie