Don't know how to get through to my 5 yr old!!!!

When my son was younger we lived with my MIL. My sons room was in front of a set of stairs. So we put a latch on his door in case in he woke up before us. But when he got used to the stairs we took it off. Well he never really tried to come out anyway. Now we are in a new home we just moved last August. And every morning when he gets up he will walk out of his room to use the bathroom. Walk back in his room and 15 minutes later just start calling from the door can I come out. And will continue to do this till someone answers him. I have told him repeatedly just come out there's no need to ask. You wake up and you open the door and come out. I have also tried leaving his door open but when he gets up in the middle of the night to use the restroom he closes it. He does not want it open when he sleeps. One battle not needed. How do I get through. Anyone else have this problem.

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would get up and tak eis hand and walk him into your room...lay back down..then ask him what he wants. Or just tell him he needs to play quietly in his room if he does not want to come out.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• You have to start a new routine with the new house. Use a chart on the wall -it sometimes helps.. if he knows how to read a little use the stickers and symbols he knows to show what he should do when he is unsure. I had one for my 3rd child. She was an early riser and I had something like this...1. go to the potty 2. play in room with toys until everyone else wakes up 3. wake up mommy if you are scared -don't just yell .
    Now since she was all of 2 or 3 yrs old she couldn't read yet very well so on #1 I drew a potty seat on #2 I cut out pictures of toys she had out of a magazine and on #3 I wrote the word mommy as she knew that word and I drew a sad face with tears. It seemed to console my daughter and It gave her that "Big girl" feeling that she was doing something important with the household at large. Good luck!
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I would just go get him; after awhile he will adjust.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• lol - my 4 yr old does the same - she will just sit there waiting for someone to wake up and come get her or yell that she needs to go potty! Get up and go already!!

She did really good for a couple of weeks; then all the sudden she said she wanted me to get her up again...it can be a tad frustrating when you are tired but I try to remind myself they won't want us around this much for long so enjoy it while we can =)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2010