WAHM- What exactly do you do while working?

I would like to work at home, but I have a few questions, if you don't mind answering them.
1. Do you have a job or a business? If it is a business, Is it your own business that you created or is it a business that you bought into like Avon, Scentsy, Ameriplan, etc.
2. What is your business name?
3. How much did you invest to get started up? (this includes supplies, ads, etc)
4. On an average day, how do you spend your day working? (advertising, following leads, paperwork, cold calling, etc)
5. How long have you been doing this and on average how much do you make a month? (you can answer anon)
Thanks in Advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Job or a business?  home business w/Ameriplan :-)
    Invest to get started up? $95(work online for Free)you can start for $50 or $179.95
    On an average day, how do you spend your day working? Marketing online, making friends on social sites, interviews/calls while the girls nap

March 09. It depends on how many hours you put in what you get out. So where I may be making one amount others will/can make more or less. I do make a nice income that is constantly growing since we are paid with "residual/repeat" income. :-)

ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 9:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• 1. Do you have a job or a business? I have a business with Ameriplan & my own website in the works as well
    2. What is your business name? Ameriplan & the website is yet unnamed
    3. How much did you invest to get started up? (this includes supplies, ads, etc) Between $50 and $179 depending on your choices
    4. On an average day, how do you spend your day working? Place ads, social networking, calling interested parties, running errands, fundraisers when avail.
    5. How long have you been doing this and on average how much do you make a month? I've been with the company for 2 years I won't give out numbers but I earn enough to replace my previous income and then some!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• 1. I have a business that my husband and I legally own.
    2. One of a Kind Baskets, INC www.oneofakindbaskets.com
    3. We invested somewhere between $7,000-$8,000.
    4. There is no average day. I work seven days a week. But here are some of the things I do: maintain our website, Facebook, Twitter pages, blogs and our profile in business directories; spend time advertising on CafeMom; make business contacts on LinkedIn; answer phone/email messages; brainstorm new marketing ideas; fulfill customer orders. My husband does all the sales calls and the financial/legal end of things.
    5. We've legally been a business for 8 months, but our grand opening was only 4 months ago. I never discuss salary, sorry.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• PS. I'll probably be bashed for adding this, but I don't care because I see this on CafeMom all the time. Selling something like Avon or Ameriplan is not the same thing as owning your own business. When you own your own business you own the name, logos, trademarks, inventory, website and you are the legal owner of the parent company. No true business can be started for $50. Most can't be started for under $5,000. With many direct sales "businesses" you earn money by recruiting new members. With a real business you earn money by selling a product or service only. It takes a lot of time and hard work because you are literally building your company from scratch.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I have a home business with Scent Sations
    3. How much did you invest to get started up? My initial cost was $600 but you have the choice to start from $49.95 to $899.00 plus tax and shipping. I continue to have a monthly advertising cost in order to keep my business growing.
    4. On an average day, how do you spend your day working? I work full time so I spend about 4 hours a day 7 days a week answer phone/email messages, fulfilling customer orders, sales calls, financial paperwork, getting new team members started, placing ads, doing vendor shows, and educating myself on my new career. I do NO cold calling.
    5. How long have you been doing this and on average how much do you make a month? I have been doing this for about 1 1/2 years. I don't talk about my income because the effort I put in is a result of my income. I am the only income earner in my house and I will be quitting that job in December.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• HotMamma330 you are right both are very different. You have a traditional business whereas I have a Network Marketing business. I don't think either is wrong it is where your passion is and what you like to do. I run my network marketing for 2 reasons: financial security and lifestyle for my family and I also like to help other people reach their goals and dreams. I don't want to just provide financial freedom for myself I am looking to help as many as possible. Why do 100% of the work when you can have 100 people doing 1% of the work and everyone wins if they all work hard. I don't want to have employees that I pay a little to get a lot of work from. I would rather have business partners who can all share in the wealth. Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• 1. Do you have a job or a business? Home business
    2. What is your business name? AmeriPlan
    3. How much did you invest to get started up? $495 this is not available now(thank goodness!) The cost to start is either a $50 or IMO the better option and the way I now run my business is $179. You have a required monthly fee of either $50 or $100. With both if you are able to use the benefits you receive then you can save more than that a month. I market my business for free for ads etc.
    4. On an average day, how do you spend it worrking? placing ads in the morning and when my girls are sleeping calling leads I generated without cold calling.
    5. How long have you been doing this and on average how much do you make a month? Since Sept. '08 and like the others have said, it's not about how much we make, but about your potential. Make sure you understand the comp plan, and know what you need to do to achieve your income goals.
    AmbitWorks4U

Answer by AmbitWorks4U at 5:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• HotMama330...I won't bash you but I do think you may need some clarification on DS biz's. These are true businesses, just run differently. There are all kinds of businesses out there and just because they run differently does not make them not a true business. If you join a direct sales business where you only earn on recruiting people, then you are in a pyramid scheme which is illegal. Businesses like Avon and AmeriPlan are legitimate because we earn on both our team and the sale of a product. With a real biz you do not earn off of the sale of a product only. If you were a sales mgr in a company, you would earn bonuses off of what your sales team is doing since you train them. If they are really good you earn a commission since you trained them well. This is why we also get a percentage of what our team does. We teach them how to run their business, how to enroll people for the business and memberships etc.
    AmbitWorks4U

Answer by AmbitWorks4U at 5:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• 1. I work from home with two lines of business. I do freelance bookkeeping and business organization; I also do career and job search coaching. Additionally, I handle the business end of my spouse's handyman business.
    2. Administrivia
    3. Nothing
    4. I do client work and attend networking events
    5. On and off for about five years. My income varies greatly; my hourly rate is between $25 and $50 an hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• 1. Business
    2. I'm an Avon ISR / Unit Leader
    3. Cost is $10 - 20 for initial brochures and training materials.
    4. I spend 2 - 5 hours a day following up with customers, delivering orders and brochures, and making sure I stay caught up with company info.
    5. I started in April 2007. My earnings per month depend primarily on the effort I put into my business and I'll be honest I haven't worked to my full potential. My best months I've made up to $500. When I slack off, my earnings drop.

DS Businesses for most can be classified as a Hobby or it can be a "Real Business". Those who sign up and put in very little effort get very little out of it. However, those who want to be successful must be willing to put forth time and effort and treat their DS business as such.

Learn more about Avon: http://dlancaster.avonrepresentative.com/opportunity.ht
    lancastd

Answer by lancastd at 1:24 AM on Apr. 4, 2010