Would you let your child travel overseas without you?

My parents live in Greece and they want me to send my daughter for the summer. My DD is 5 and I know there are flight attendants and all, but I don't know if I am ok with her travelling overseas without me or her dad.. But if she doesn't go I'll have to hire a babysitter for the summer which I am not comfortable with.. What would you do?

pipermomofash

Asked by pipermomofash at 9:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• me, personally no
    I'd be ok with her spending a summer with the grandparents, but not traveling alone overseas to get there
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I don't think I could stand my child be gone all summer but that would be my selfishness there. I think 5 is too young to travel alone, especially overseas. In a few years it would be a remarkable experience for her, but I still don't know if I'd let less than a teenager fly alone. I'm paranoid like that. Could you fly with her and one of your parents fly back with her?
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• There is NO WAY I would send a 5 yr old on a flight let alone an overseas flight by herself. Flight attendents are not babysitters. There is nothing stopping someone from taking her in the potty & abusing her.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I grew up in Germany and all my grandparents lived in the States so I did that all the time. First time I flew alone I was 4 and then I did it every year. The attendants are very careful with kids that travel alone. There's an extra charge but I know there's nothing to worry about when your kid is on the plane.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Never! Even with escorts I think it's wrong to send a kid on a plane by themselves.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I let my daughter fly out to California every summer to spend time with her father ever since she was 5. We have never had a problem. The airline even called me once when she was 7 because she had an upset stomach! What a wonderful experience for her. I'd say let her go
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 9:58 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think most people are right, I am terrified by the idea of letting her fly there alone.. But I wouldn't want her to spend the summer with a babysitter! I think it's more dangerous.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 9:59 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• No on both counts. I would not let a 5 year old fly alone anywhere, and there is no way in hell I would let my child spend the entire summer with her grandparents. That's just way too long for a 5 year old!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Could you plan a joint trip there at the beginning and end of the summer, where you fly over with your daughter, stay for a few days and then fly back by yourself? I wouldn't let my 5 year old travel alone, even with escorts. My ex was a flight attendant - and I know how good he is with kids - NOT!

Answer by missanc at 10:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't send my 5 year old on a flight that long by herself. And I don't think I would want them gone all summer. Having a babysitter is a better option
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:06 AM on Apr. 2, 2010