Cops tazer an 10 year old twice because he would not listen to them. Is this not a form of child abuse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, what if a parent was to do that. Poor kid, I have a 9 year old and that would be so horrible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Not necessarily. It would depend on why they tazered him. Was he endangering himself or someone else? One person's rights end when they begin to enfringe on someone else's, and a 10-year old quite often has to be protected from himself. This is especially true in the day in which we live because children have not been taught that there are rules and that those rules must be obeyed. They have pretty much grown up doing whatever they please whenever they please with no thought as to the consequences of their actions. By the time a child is 10, it is quite possible that he could be so deeply entrenched in his own power over and control of his universe that knocking him to his knees would be the only way to stop him. So I would not automatically assume child abuse. It could have been a necessary and appropriate response, depending on what the child was doing and how many times he had already been told to stop it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:16 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• If he was tazed by the same kind of tazer that I own, it wouldn't have killed him or done any major damage. It would be a quick little zap and he might of just been pissed off enough to come after tham again. I have seen some out of control 10y/o that needed something like that to yank them back into reality. I have seen some that just need an even bigger kids to whoop their butts one good time. NannyB. is right. There are kids nowadays that are gonna be in jaail forever because no one stuck with them and scared them straight, they are led to believe that no one can do anything to them. Like the poster here the other day that was scared of her 7 y/o and didn't want to punish him and make him mad because he threatened to call CPS or the cops. I told her if my son tried, I would give them a reason to investigate me. My son has been told this too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:21 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• OP--I'd like a link in reference to your "headline," so I can read the ENTIRE story and based on the facts and circumstances under which this child was tazered, are justified or not!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Yes! grown men could not make a young boy listen?

If the boy had weapons than I could see it.

They could off put the boy in the police car and told him,you will stay there tell you are ready to listen.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Well, based on the fact that kids that young can and do commit crimes ranging from rape to murder and have been known to be drug runners and carry guns- I would need to see the whole story. Most of us envision our own sons in their boy scout or sports uniforms being tasered and we think-no way. Its sad that kids that young can be in a position where tasering is needed.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:34 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/Technology/police-officers-including-captain-slapped-tasered-boy/story?id=10260026
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think this is the story the OP is talking about.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100402/LOCAL/4020345/Use-of-Taser-on-boy-10-questioned

I have a feelign this child had a disability such as Autism or some other emotional problems--which were exacerbated by being slapped by one of the caretakers at the "Tender Teddies" home-based daycare center!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I agree with LoriKeet. I would prefer to read the whole story before giving my opinion on this particular situation.

I will say that under normal circumstances this would be unacceptable. That said, not being there and seeing the whole thing go down, I cannot say if it was excessive or not. The first thing I found on google was this from HuffPo:

It was the second time police had been called to the day care for an incident involving the boy, who was not identified.

It goes on to say: Assistant Police Chief Dan Riffel said neither officer had been disciplined previously before for excessive force.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:46 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Hmm. The lack of consistency in the officers' reports says to me that they knew this was not entired kosher. While I get that some kids can be out of control, and out of concern for themselves and others, officers might zap them, these officers hit the kid - got close enough to slap him in the mouth.

Were I this kid's parent, I would be after those officers with a vengence. ANY defense they might offer is, to me, negated by the fact that they were comfortable enough with the situation to get close enough to the kid to slap them.

I would also be investigating the daycare, and wonder why, if the cops had been called previously that week, I, as the parent, was not advised that my kid needed to be somewhere more equipped to deal with the emotional outburts and all that came with them.

This whole story stinks of inappropriate behavior.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 10:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2010