Do you use Western Union to send money? Is it safe?

I have to send a large amound of money from Canada to Germany and I've never used Western Union. Is it safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it would be safer and less expensive to send it wire transfer, or paypal.. I haven't used Western Union in yrs so I don't know how safe they are...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I use it occassionally. It's a little pricey, but it gets their instantly. You need to be sure the receiving person has the information required to receive it, and unless someone else somehow gets their hands on that, it is safe. They need to have the senders name, a number off the western union paper, and the exact amount being sent. MoneyGram requires a secret question and answer from the receiver. They are a little pricey. Paypal (if both parties have it) is the cheapest way to go because you can send it as a gift for free. Not easy to use if the receiving person doesn't have a debit card though.
    pam

Answer by pam at 11:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• It's spendy, but it's safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Yes, there are multiple security checks built in. It's fast and reliable.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• What are you sending it for? Just asking because a lot of scams such as work at home, winning the lottery, and collecting inheritance involve western unions. Never send money if someone had you deposit a check to send the money to them! Be careful!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2010