Spin off of the newborn and 1 year old sharing a crib question

How is it safe to co sleep but not putting a 1 year old and a newborn in bed together? Not that I'm saying it's safe for a 1 year old and a newborn to share a crib. I'm just wondering how you can justify it being safer putting a newborn in bed with adults who can just as easily roll over on top of the baby or the baby can smother in the pillow and/or bedclothes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Neither one is safe IMO. There are other options besides co-sleeping either way. But also IMO, co-sleeping a newborn and a 1 year old is more dangerous than co-sleeping a newborn with parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• For one I didnt sleep heavy with my baby in bed with me. My hand was always on her back and I knew that if something was over her mouth it would suffocate her. Of course a child doesn't know that AND moves all over the place. Obvious differences.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Because a mom understands her baby is there and how to sleep properly. I for one co-slept, but, never "forgot" my baby was right there. Hell, even if my Miniature Pinscher is in bed with me I am aware of where she is at all times. A one year old does not have the capacity and wherewithall to know not to roll over or kick the baby. DUH! Not all parents would just put their baby in the bed whereever and not care to prevent rolling over on them. I am the opposite of you I can't even fathom what it would take for a parent to roll over on their baby or not hear them breathing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Im a VERY light sleeper...I woke up to every move and every coo. You just learn to sleep with a baby in the bed..its really not hard lol we had a divider type thing out daughters slept in.
    (Both of my kids sleep in separate rooms they are 3 and 1)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I've been co-sleeping since my son was born 8 months ago. Neither of us have ever rolled over on him. Mother is very aware of their baby's place it's not a tragic thing. Most instances of babies smothering is with the just the Dad. Don't judge something before you've done it. It's done wonders and it's better than just sticking my child in a crib and walking away. This creates a deeper bond, you just feel closer. Why don't you try it before you tell people who have done it what happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Adults are more aware of what they are doing while they sleep than a one year old is.Yes, even while they sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Co-sleeper here. My Child was never in any danger. When we decided to co-sleep we reduce the number of pillows and blankets to the bare minimum. My LO has been perfectly safe perhaps even safer than if he slept in a crib (if you take into account emotional security).

As for a 1 year old and a baby sharing a crib. No way, The way my son tosses and turns in his sleep (he is 18 months). The poor little infant would be black and blue.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My baby girl is 6 months and I've been co sleeping pretty much since she was born. I'm very aware of where she is at ALL times and theres never been a problem. As for a newborn & a 1 year old sharing a crib, I don't believe that's safe. Only because the 1 year old wouldn't be as conscious(sp?) as the mother (or father) and may hurt the newborn, totally on accident. I wouldn't risk it.
    mandi0986

Answer by mandi0986 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I have coslept with all my kids, 5 total. Except with my twins it is more like one at a time! I never rolled over on them. I always was aware of where they were at and kept away blankets and pillows. My twins sleep in the same crib but as they are getting older I do it less. They like to grab each other and can hurt each other. I'd be worried about what the one year could do to a newborn in my absence. A one year old doesn't know better.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

bjane01